Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > hair cut?    

hair cut?

ELOJOLIE274
France

hair cut?

hi everyone!!!
I need your help:

would you say this is a bowl hair cut?

and how would you say:
"he has bowl hair"??? because it seems totally wrong... but i �m not sure how to say it...

thanks!!!

6 Jun 2010      

magneto
Greece

Hello!
Yes, this is a bowl haircut, but saying "he has bowl hair" sounds wrong to me, too. I think you should stick to "he has a bowl haircut". Maybe some native English speakers have better ideas, but, until I hear them, that �s what I would say.

6 Jun 2010     

dennismychina
China

It�s all about subjects and objects so he has a bowl haircut.

We were a bit more crude and would say �It looks like someone put a pee pot on his head and cut around it.

But the boy�s hair in the picture� has some shape to it so I don�t think it�s applicable. It looks more like his hairstyle is growing out.

This is a bowl haircut.

Enjoy.

6 Jun 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hug I don �t think I can use your expression with my pupils but it made me laugh so thanks ;)
have a nice day!!!

6 Jun 2010     

kodora
Greece

I think it �s a bowlcut or a mushroom cut.So, he has a bowlcut and this is a bowlcut hairstyle.
Have a nice Sunday everyone!
Dora

6 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

It �s a bowl cut or pudding bowl haircut. I managed to avoid it by dint of having ccurly hair but I came close once or twice! Oh, the shame!

I believe it got it �s name because it looks like somone put a pudding bowl on your head then cut around it! I don �t know if they ever actually did use the bowl, though - that might just be an urban legend!

Lindsey

6 Jun 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

*lol* In German, this is called a "Topfschnitt" or "Pottschnitt" (Topf / Pott = saucepan or cooking pot).

I wasn �t as lucky as you though, dear Lindsey, because I did have this kind of hairdo when I was a 9-year old child. Cry However, it used to be very much in fashion in the 70s and that�s why I forgave my mum later for letting me run around like that!! LOL

6 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Well Topolina, you better not let your mum near your hair because it�s back in style - just check it out here where some well known stars, including the gorgeous Christina Ricci, were seen wearing a bowl style only in March this year (not that it looks anything like the sixties/seventies dork look).   I also had this cut as a youngster in the late sixties - it was very much in in those days.

6 Jun 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I �d call it a Basin Cut (or Pudding Basin Cut)

Haven�t seen one for a long time LOL.

I just checked out the link given in the reply above. They are coming back and are now called Bowl Cuts!!!!

6 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

Hey, Topolina,
You told us that Topf and Pott mean a cooking pot, but some of the others might be wondering about the rest of the word.

In German, "Schnitt" means "cut".

Bruce

6 Jun 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello,

if this style is back, as Jayho says, I reckon that those kids that used to wear it (after their parents � decision - including me, a pink dress and a bowl cut, that was my short and dark period of my childhoodLOL) will become those parents who will choose a bowl cut to their kids now Big smile
BTW, in Slovak  it also literally means a "pot"....xixi

z.

6 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >