Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Girlfriends and boyfriends     

Girlfriends and boyfriends

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Girlfriends and boyfriends

Dear fellows,

I �d like to clarify something, or let �s say, make sure, although it might sound silly Embarrassed

When do we use these words - "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" ? I know that if a boy says that she is my girlfriend, and if a girl says he is my boyfriend, they are both talking about their partners, or people who they fall in in love with, right? I know that if a girl wants to emphasize that she �s been, for example, for a cup of coffee with a female friend, she says  - "I �ve been out with my girlfriend....." (right?)... and what about boys, do they use "I �ve been out with my boyfriends" when they want to say that only males have been there? This sounds strange to me, could anyone help to clarify this? In Slovak we have two words, differing in the suffixes, for denoting a female and male friend. In English it �s basically a "friend"only... Or? are there any other ways how to say that you �ve been out with a female/male friend, without saying her/his name??

thank you for reading my post in advance,

zuzana

10 Jun 2010      

stexstme
France

Hi Zuzana,
Let me quote you : if a girl wants to emphasize that she �s been, for example, for a cup of coffee with a female friend, she says  - "I �ve been out with my girlfriend....." (right?)... �

Well,I wouldn �t use �girlfriend � in that case...I �d say : � with my friend / best friend / mate ... �
To me, girl/boyfriend both refer to Love...Hope I �m not telling you sthg wrong!( & I feel quite sure about it!Confused)
Let �s wait for other posts!Big smile

10 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

And boys goes out with : Pals, bodies,[ friends, best friends, mate ... to add Sylvie �s word as well] Wink
eg. a boy talking to his friend when he sees him :"Hey buddy, what you up to?"

Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile

10 Jun 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Good question.
Boys will usually say �buddy �, �mate �...
Girls may say �best female friend � (bff), girlfriend. I ve heard girls referring to their female  friends as �girlfriends � and nothing was wrong with that, nobody even noticed.

have a good day ;)

10 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Where I �m from girls go out with : girlfriends (exactly the case you gave as an example), friends (can include men), mates (very casual & a little rough, can include men).

girlfriend means exactly that - a friend who is a girl. It implies either a close relationship to a female friend or a group of women (not necessarily extremely close friends) having a group outing.

boys would only go out with/meet up with/ hang out with their boyfriends if it was a homosexual relationship. Boys/guys/men/blokes would go out with their mates, bro�s, friends (can include women), buddies, pals, diggers.

I �m sure there are a lot of others synonyms available but this is just a really quick selection for you!

Cheers,
AB

10 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

Gee! Better not be that sure, then!Approve Still, I �d find it difficult to use girlfriend for a female friend...Wacko
Thx!

10 Jun 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Thank you for your posts!

When I worked in the Uk as an aupair, I  often heard this expression in my temorary family: "My girlfriend told me"..... when the mum was speaking!!... So I learnt that when a girl (woman) says this, she just emphasizes female sex. I have never heard boys saying "my boyfriend told me"... but today I was asked this Q, so I wanted to be sure....

Thanks again for your attention to my post.

zuzana

10 Jun 2010     

douglas
United States

AB has it right-on (as usual)

10 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

This is what I found in Wikipedia ( ...!) :LOL

Although nuanced, for some there is a significant difference between "girlfriend" (one word) and "girl friend" (two words), or "boyfriend" (one word) and "boy friend" (two words). In a strictly grammatical sense, a "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" is an individual with whom one shares a romantic relationship. A "girl friend" or "boy friend", however, is simply a friend identified on the basis of gender.

Could that be correct ???
Thx for your answers!
Sylvie

10 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

I think the use of �girlfriend � to refer to a close female friend is American English as my American friends here would use it but I wouldn �t and nor would any of my British friends, except ironically.

I don �t think anyone uses �boyfriend � to refer to anything other than a romantic partner!

hope that helps!

Lindsey

10 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Sylvie!

The artcile in Wikipedia is actually awaiting further citations (specifically to do with the noun vs noun phrase) in order for the article to be verified.

Please be aware that when using online resources (even Wikipedia) that not all information may actually be verified &  may, in fact, be nothing more than an unsupported opinion. 

Essentially, just because it �s in writing, doesn �t necessarily make it true in all cases.

Cheers,
AB

10 Jun 2010     

1    2    3    Next >