Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Bad news...    

Bad news...

Montypython
France

Hi dear Sylvie!

What a "joke"!!!!!!!!!! The government pretends to think languages are soooooooooooooo important & here is what is done....

same here:
My 11th-year class are 35 per classes... & we must focus on speaking....

such a pity!

take care dear Sylvie!!!

Tons of hugs Hug

17 Jun 2010     

kmochniak
Poland

Hi everybody!

I know exactly what you are talking about! There is a solution, though. Maybe not for everybody but still... There is a programme of teaching practice called Comenius (it �s a UE Lifelong Learning Programme) and your school can apply for a Comenius Assistant. If your school gets taken into the programme, they send you a person with teaching qualifications, usually a student or a young teacher, who is not paid by the school, but who can take half of your students, go to a different room and do exactly what you want them to do. That �s what I �ve been doing in France since October. Why not give it a go?

Hugs from Caen,

Kasia

17 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

I know... dear Liberty & Monty, I know...! I �ll never get used to it, nor accept it! Thank you for letting me have some steam off...!
Take care,
Sylvie ( I love you, friends!Approve)
Ps : Today, a 16-year-old girl, one of my "3� ", came to me & told me she was not accepted in our school next year ( to �double � her school year...) She was told by the Principal that we do not have any place for ... " loosers" any more...! Cry ( The girl �s family is in big trouble : Unemployment, alcohol...You know ...)
Soooo, Camille won �t be able to come to our school next year...She �ll probably be walking the streets ...( No parents, Liberty, here , where I live, : No parents ...AT ALL.)
I �m off.
BTW : The school nurse will not be employed next year, either...

17 Jun 2010     

kmochniak
Poland

And a small note about one of my students. Last year a 9-year-old girl was very noisy and quite annoying in my classes. I asked her what she didn �t like about my lessons and she said everything was OK, it � just that she was hungry. When I asked whether her mummy could make her one more sandwich to bring to school that �s what she said: "Well, I �ve already asked her, but my First Communion is coming and she says that I can �t eat too much because I �m fat and I won �t fit into my white dress"!!!!! Now, what you say about that?! No comments.

17 Jun 2010     

libertybelle
United States

The worst part is that these kids are screaming  for some attention.
How the heck  can we give them attention when there are so many in a class.
And how about  we poor over-worked and underpaid teachers and nurses too.

Isn �t there someone who can help Camille?  She being left behind in the dirt instead of being given a chance at getting out of that evil circle.  My heart bleeds for kids like this.
How dare anyone call her a loser?  Not letting her continue in school will surely make her a loser.  Anyone who makes that kind of decision shouldn �t be working in a school at all.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Lisa
ps - We all need to vent about idiots who make idiotic decisions!

17 Jun 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

yep we don �t stand a chance against mexico...

as for the number of pupils per class, it �s the same everywhere i �m afraid...

my mum teaches in a SEGPA (special needs school) and here �s what a pupil told her last week during a school:
      "Stay on the pavement Oceane" my mum said as a car was driving towards them
      "Why? i ain �t a whore/hooker!" Oceane replied, offended!!!
yeah you �ve read correctly!!! you �re asking a pupil to stay on the pavement because you �re afraid she might be run over by a car and instead of being thankful, the pupil is offended...
the world has gone crazy...
Elodie

17 Jun 2010     

Montypython
France

that �s just dreadful (saying that to that poor kid!)

& no nurse either.......?????!!!!

good luck dear friend!!! :)

17 Jun 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

1) So many thanks to my boss. I had a talk to her just a few days ago asking her to divide the classes into two groups when there are more than 23 students and guess what - she said yes, I will. I know I �m one of those luckier ones with such an excellent headteacher running the school. There is not much money put into education here but somehow she can manage it. After learning your experience I �m gonna thank her once more:-)�

�2) I DO agree with Donapeter �s point. Teaching might be great when you have students who appreciate your interest and effort. In this case you know that your work is worth it.� But unfortunately there are so many now who do not get the meaning of education and show no interest in anything useful. How can they be taught English or any other subject when they are not willing to learn basic social issues or find motivation to create something meaningful or develop themselves? Who is to be blamed for this situation?�

17 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

OMG I feel sorry for the size of your classes. As a language class, this would be an impossible number to manage, and give quality to. I have 6 learners on an intensive learning programme in my new job. There are never more than 6.
In my previous job there was never more than 12. I find it so hard to believe your governments agree to this. You are so overworked. The maximum in our schools can go up to 30, but it should be 25. They get additional support byway of teacher assistants, and additional training to cope with such numbers. As language acquisition this just wouldn �t happen, only as a native tongue where there are no barriers from language problems. I, thankfully never will have this situation, and admire you all.

17 Jun 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Yeah, Elodie...
reminds me something what happened to me this Tuesday: I wanted to leave a PC room with my students. When I opened the door, there was another class (boys only) waiting to get in. I said: "Please, boys, let the girls get out." And one of the boys, who was standing just behind me said: "Yes, boys. Let the whores get out!" Well, my reaction was reflexive, but I slapped him. Not proud of it but as I said it was a reflex. But I am not really sorry for it as this student talks about girls this way all the time. I was waiting he �s going to complain to our principal, yet he came yesterday to my room and apologized.

17 Jun 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >