Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Why don ´t people look for something here before they produce a worksheet?    

Why don ´t people look for something here before they produce a worksheet?

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi everybody, how are you?

In my opinion, if we had to speak about repetitive topics, we would find there are a lot of them, and it is not agaisnt the rules. Some worksheets are suitable for some students while others on the same topic are more suitable for other students, according to their levels.

I understand some people may be a bit tired of the world cup songs, they are sounding everywhere! but I believe that posting these comments about worksheets which people have created with effort and want to share with all of us is unnecessary and may be hurtful . If I were to upload a worksheet, I would not check if there are many activities on my topic since some teachers may need new extra activities!

After all, if the worksheet is not downloaded by anyone, then it will be deleted by the site. On the contrary, it meant it was useful for someone.

Best regards,

Jor

19 Jun 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

Everyone should have their own criteria, I think. We shouldn �t wait for the site to delete us. I often think there are far too many worksheets on the same topic  but sometimes the topic is a main grammar point or an interesting subject, so I suppose that is OK, but I would have to think twice about a waka waka song about soccer over and over and over... I guess my question is...should we give our students what they like (I �m sure they get enough of that!) or something else?

My best wishes for your weekend!

19 Jun 2010     

Tecus
Hungary

Hello everybody,

You �re right, there are quite a lot of topics and grammar points with loads of worksheets, some really great others less demanding (and I do not speak about the colours and pictures). Even if there are plenty to choose from I prefer and insist on my worksheet because I do it for my students for my purpose, it contains the vocabulary I need, etc. Maybe this is the reason other members do the wss on the same topics. It does not mean that I don �t use others � work, but mostly my own. At the same time I learn a lot from you, you give me ideas, encouragement with your wss and comments. Thanks to you!
Relax and have a great summer! 

19 Jun 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Have you guys stopped to think these members are new, need points right away and just upload what they believe will (most certainly) be downloaded? I think it �s all about �go with the flow �!

A Hungarian intern who works in my school sang the �Waving Flag � song with all the groups, and they absolutely loved it, and I �m pretty sure almos no one checks if the stuff they �re about to upload already exists in the archive. I don �t, but I only upload the material I believe is rather unique or interesting for other teachers. I don �t upload every single exercise sheet I make, mostly because there are plenty on the site. Some teachers do, but I don �t criticise them.

And I used to see a lot and still see other members with looooots of point uploading �twin worksheets �, like PICTIONARY, MATCHING and sometimes even more than 2. Which IMHO is ridiculous, because anyone can turn a pictionay into a matching exercise. Can help but thinking that �s just for points, and they won �t ever use theirs. Status, maybe?

I don �t remember hearing others complaining about this.

I guess that what I mean is: we shouldn �t judge, especially new members, for not knowing what to upload in here so they �d get points to use our absolutely fantastic collection of artworks (language art, I mean).

But as a rather old member of the house, I do believe that old members who keep uploading the SAME OLD THING over and over, well... what can I say? Sorry for judging them.

I guess that �s it out of me!
; )

Hugs, Bruna

19 Jun 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

I understand what you mean, Bruna Dutra. I think you are right, some people just need quick points (we all did), and I �m sure everyone here does their best. But I appreciate comments like edelberrywine �s, because they make us think about our own work and what we offer. Sometimes it �s too easy to keep on doing the same just because it works.
My best regards.

19 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Always look on the bright side of life...

19 Jun 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

Who doesn �t, anita? Is there another possible approach?!

19 Jun 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@ pilarmham
I guess that �s what I wanted to say, I really liked elderberrywine �s post, and I agree with it, I just wanted to point out that mostly these wss are from newbies.

And... it also got me thinking: DO PEOPLE MAKE WSS FOR ESLPRINTABLES?

I really don �t get it, I have some things I �adapted � before I uploaded them, and I definitely developed a lot in my skills after I joined the site. But if I needed points, of course I uploaded whatever I had, or what I thought would be downloaded.

Anyways, it �s like Anita said... let �s enjoy the site!!

Have a great weekend you guys!!
Hugs, Bruna

19 Jun 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

Bruna Dutra, I didn �t complain, I didn �t judge. I just noticed and commented and asked a pointed question.
I invited people to look first if there are worksheets on their topic before creating one.

I just think there should be some sort of limitation on the number of worksheets on the same topic.

What we also get on a daily basis, but not only during football world championship, is worksheets about the parts of the body.
We have a ridiculous amount of those, just have a look.
If you enter "body parts" into our search engine you get 137 pages of 10 worksheets each. Not all of them are actually about body parts, but if out of the 1370 (!!!) worksheets only 60% are (and I think it �s far more than that) there must be around 822 of them.

Now what use or what good is that? Who has the time to look through, let �s say, 10% of them (88!!) in order to save time? It �s a tremendous loss of time.
We often talk about server space and kb limitations ... see what I mean?

And yes, blunderbuster, I have noticed that you have become more and more quiet here.

And no, anitarobi, I don�t always want to look on the bright side of life. This song or cathcphrase always makes me very nervous because I find it awfully superficial. If we all turned away from the negative sides of life things would stay as they are, there would be no improvement, no development, all the injustices would carry on in the world etc.
(wow, I seem to be having my revolution day today! Is that why my family is hiding from me?)
(No, they aren�t , I�m only joking)

19 Jun 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

348322 users have been registed here.
348322 users of this site try to be the best!
346322 users want to create something unique!
346322 users have the right to offer the world what they can do!
I cant see anything wrong with it.
I can see it �s very good that the newbies can learn from the best members of the site
and teach their students better with the ws from here.

Olga

19 Jun 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >