Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Why don ´t people look for something here before they produce a worksheet?    

Why don ´t people look for something here before they produce a worksheet?

anitarobi
Croatia

@pilarmham: sorry, I wasn �t trying to be clever or anything, I �ve just been a bit negative myself recentlyErmm and there �s actually no need for that, so after reading the original post and your replies, this song just came to my mind and I thought - why not post it here - it might make sb smile.
Dorothea, thumbs up for the post, although I believe Bruna makes a good point - new members rarely check, they need points and perhaps haven �t even surfed this site properly. Still, it �s great to have such a huge choice here - one just has to know what to choose. Blunderbuster makes a good point here: It �s not what you have, it �s what you do with it ;o)
edit 1: Oh dear, it seems so many of us were writing at the same time, so I�ll have to go back and read several posts...sorry
edit 2: OK, been back, read Dorothea�s comment and now I�m scaredCry... I better go...

19 Jun 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@ elderberrywine
Of course you were complaining! And that �s absolutely fine, it �s also like you said... if we always keep things to ourselves, there wouldn �t be any interpersonal exchange of thoughts, both positive and negative.

I really agree with you... and as you wanted to point out something, I also wanted to say that I don �t understand how come some members with soooo many points, keep uploading the same thing? Just like you mentioned, how many wss on body parts do we need? But, would it be fair to simply �prohibit � them now? Of course not. All we can do is hope for some "conscious uploading" from members. And even so, if some of the old dogs in here don �t have it, why should the newbies?

Well... there �s the bright side, yes... In the end of the day, this is the best website and the best site to chat with really bright people!

See you all guys later!!

19 Jun 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

you know what? what i think is that the problem is the system.. i dont think that the ws are deleted after a a month if the ws is not downloaded and i know that because i have ws that havent been dwled in more than 6 month and they are still here. i do think that if this were really implemented  if would work wonders since there are many good ws that i have found in pages number 100 or more but they are missed because of so many ws. not always i have the time to go through hundres of pages and is a pity. now that i am on vacation im taking the time to go through all that because i am updating my resources folder but i do think is a shame that all those ws that are not dwl are still here taking space and avoiding others to get dwnloaded because people get tired of looking after 4 or 5 pages.

19 Jun 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

Ok it has been a long time since I have visited here, but I want to add my 2 cents worth.

For me it is about sharing. End of.

So what if there are 100 worksheets on one topic?
For me when I teach a point I teach it several times in different ways.
Often worksheets give me a starting point, I change and adapt them for my own needs.
There may be 100 �s on one topic, but maybe only ONE or TWO of them are suitable for the level and age that I have at any one time. What might have worked last year for one group might not  be appropriate for another group.
I have never checked to see if "my" topic has been done before. I mean I make the worksheets for MYSELF and MY STUDENTS... NOT for the site, so for me uploading anything to this site is about sharing what I have done and hopefully someone, somewhere might find them useful.

I don �t tend to download any more from the daily contributions but if I need something I will use the search function and look specifically for what I need.

I have come across some absolute diamonds when I have searched for something specific at a later date from the "old" printables.

As for a comment earlier about "older" members having many printables on the same topic. A lot of countries MUST stick to a prescribed curriculum and therefore need to come up with different ways of teaching essentially the same stuff.
If someone else �s work is not suitable for you.... don �t download it... duh!

But I feel uneasy whenever I see threads (intentional or not) where members start complaining about WHAT is on offer.
The great thing about this site is that you spend your points on things YOU find useful. What is terrific for one person could be terrible for another.
When classes have a range of abilities, how great it is to be able to choose several worksheets on the same topic but at different levels!

This site is awesome for a reason - the range of contributors who share and make this site a treasure chest of ESL resources!

19 Jun 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@ chezzels
I had the feeling your comment on �older � members was about my comment!! LOL
Of course I only donwload what it �s useful for me, and what it �s not for me, certainly is for others.
Surely your reasoning is plausible, but I even gave an example of the repeated �same thing � I mentioned (pictionary + matching thing), and I even said, I �m sorry for judging this, it is something I reluctantly do and I always say to myself: "Who am I to judge? That �s what people make (not only for ESLP), that �s what they share". I was just being honest about my opinion.

Your opinion sure good me thinking, and I guess that �s the whole point of the forum and that was the original intention of this thread, I guess.

Like I said, I do not upload everything I make mainly because this is only for ORIGINAL WORK, and I use a lot of things I find online, suiting them for my needs, but not calling them �my own �.

Well... I �m all for your "For me it is about sharing. End of."
And that �s why I said we shouldn �t worry about the many worksheets we have on the same topic because, as others mentioned, it might take a little while to find exactly what we were looking for among so many contributions, but if there �s a place where we most certainly will find it, it �s HERE!

Wink

19 Jun 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Well said, Cheezels.  Again,  this site is for sharing what may be suitable for one person may not be suitable for someone else.  So what is the problem with having a variety to choose from? Smile We are not forced to choose, I  would assume we choose according to our needs. 
I prepare my  worksheets to suit the needs of my students.   Not everyone teaches the same way, nor has the same system.  Perhaps some people have the same level, but teach different age groups and the variety is out there for us with just one click.

We should be happy for what we have with this site.  Remember, this is one of the best sites out there and the freedom of choice is ours and only ours, and no one else �s.

19 Jun 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3