Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just to nag a little    

Just to nag a little

viccxx
Greece

Well, JulietaVL, i can understand your point of view but as far as I am concerned it is mystifying how can grown people get so obsessed with a bunch of men running behind a ball. My kid has been sick for three days now and his father who absolutelly adores him refused to take him to the doctor today because bla bla bla, excuses excuses excuses. The national team was playing. See what I mean? You cant make football the most important thing in life! It �s not natural!! 

23 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

It is certainly NOT natural, you �re right ! But tradition - here - and publicity, I think, play an important part in being obsessed with it ! I understand it works with teens... but adults ??
I agree with you, viccxx, no reason to put a person �s life "on hold" because of a match ...
I �m ok with the fact that my country won today, but - sorry uruguayan fans - if they had lost to Mexico, I couldn �t care less...

23 Jun 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Viccxx... I agree with you if you put it that way

Of course I did / do not think soccer is the most important thing in life and I am sorry to read that situation happened to you.

I only said I wanted to look at the good side of the World Cup, unfortunately you have had bad experiences with that, and I haven �t

I express one more time that I like to see how people get together, even though it is just a game!!! I wish people got together for more important things, not only a game, but anyway, I am trying to be positive and see the good side.

23 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

You are right about that ,Julieta, people get together and seem to be so friendly during the world cup ! But it �s a shame football is the cause ! It �s not real, it doesn �t last long ...
Anyway, those of you who like football so much :  enjoy !! I imagine it must be thrilling to watch the games ... I see the emotions it causes in some members of my family !
Have a good night, everyone   Hug

23 Jun 2010     

eltconsultancy
Mexico

mmmmm..... sports (exercise) generate endorphins (even if you just watch them), endorphins make you feel happy, happy people is more polite, more efficient, more willing... I adore these events (World Cup, Olympic games, super ball....). it�s a scape, I have a baby with lots of health issues, I had been at the hospital for the last two years and these moments when I can yell and curse and forget about everything else are just like fresh air. Just for fun.... my life continues after the game but those 90 minutes my heart pumps as the ball rolls. Just for fun...
....by the way I want to believe VAMOS MEXICO, SI SE PUEDE!!!!!!!!! 

23 Jun 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

I got your ideia, people from my country are absolutely crazy for soccer but when they have to show that they are brazilian facing serious problems noone cares, it�s like if they  were brazilian and  patriotic just during the world cup, but I  watch some matches even if i don�t want because all the televisions and homes are with it on and very loud but I think that people should at leat in my country show this energy to face ours problems. Sorry, my English. And about Africa, nice the cup to be there but I don�t think that the African people are at the stadium because tickects are too expensive so the wold cup is in Africa but not to the african, this is my opinion.

23 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Hi Julieta and Eltconsultancy...I just saw posts and I get your idea. I know that watching football etc. can work as a bit of a relief and I respect that. I also know that such events bring about an ephemeral sense of unity...I just wish people would show that solidarity and unity in really important issues, as well...
Flora also has a point as far as the fact that the African people won �t really gain anything from this event is concerned...It �s sad
Sorry, but I really am a pessimist...Can �t help it.

23 Jun 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4