Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning online exercises > Test your own vocabulary here - you īll be ADDICTED in no time!!     

Test your own vocabulary here - you īll be ADDICTED in no time!!

elderberrywine
Germany

Test your own vocabulary here - you īll be ADDICTED in no time!!

Hello dear colleagues,

some of you might not know this fascinating  link

http://www.freerice.com/

which helps you practice and enlarge your vocabulary.

It īs tremendous fun to find synonyms somewhere between level 0 and 60. The words get so difficult as you rise through the levels...

I never get beyond 42 (and between 38-42 all my right answers are guesswork through deduction from French and Latin roots).

Side effect: for each correct answer, sponsors donate 10 grammes of rice to the World Food Programme.

I should love to know how far "ordinary" native speakers get and what sort of brainiac or classical scholar you have to be to get beyond level 50 ...
enjoy!

29 Jun 2010      

Mabdel
Morocco

It īs so interesting.Thanks a lot for sharing

29 Jun 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Great, thanks :) Will try this now :)

29 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you .. but too challenging !!  croon = sing ??? hectap = group of seven ??? ( Iīve just looked up and itīs not even in the dictionary !! ) LOL I got to 40 and couldn īt go past, and yes, as you say, some of the words were "easier" because of latin roots ... but not so many . .. Thank you, elderberrywine!    .Thumbs Up

29 Jun 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

Oh, and I forgot to mention: every couple of weeks the site gets new words, so you īre never bored! 

29 Jun 2010     

petili
Bulgaria

Thanks, it īs very interesting and fun.
And not easy.
Hugs
Petya

29 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

Can īt get past 42 either - will keep trying - thanks for the link!

29 Jun 2010     

ants
Switzerland

I donated 2,700 grains of rice today!!
It īs very interesting and I love anything to do with learning new words!!

29 Jun 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I got up to 46 but then dropped and couldn īt get up again.....
Great site, absolutely loved it!!

29 Jun 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Do you know that you can also do grammar quizzes, not only vocabulary and you can try other subjects too. Choose from the top menu Subjects. I love geography quiz Identify Countries on the Map, and the other is also great!

29 Jun 2010     

Pelletrine
France

Waou!! level 48 Smile !! ...But without my great Robert and Collins dictionary ... I would have been lost about level 40LOL
Great game!!

29 Jun 2010     

1    2    3    Next >