Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > TOELF or CAE?    

TOELF or CAE?

Yams
Argentina

TOELF or CAE?

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!

I have just graduated in English teaching, and I have never sat for any international exam, so my question is: what should I take first, TOEFL or CAE?

Apart from that, I would like to know if any of you have ever sat for these exams and tell me your experience, things that I should take into account, know, etc.

Do you know where I can download material to start studying?

I would really appreciate any information!

Thanks a lot!!! Handshake

5 Jul 2010      

Zora
Canada

Personally, I �d suggest CAE since TOEFL has an "expiry" date. The results of the exam are only good for two years, I believe and after that you would need to retest yourself. CAE is different, you take the exam, pass it and you have a valid diploma in English. It never "expires".

TOEFL is basically an exam used in the US (and other countries) geared towards University entry; although many companies around the world will ask for it since it always shows "a current" knowledge of English.

Basically, I guess it all depends why you want to take the exam and what for. In Europe, CAE is more well known that TOEFL but some places regard both as acceptable proof of your English level.

5 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I agree with everything Linda says, but ... why don �t you go for CPE ? Just a suggestion, just what I �d do if I were you...  check here for samples and resources : www.cambridgeesol.org

5 Jul 2010     

Yams
Argentina

thanks Zora, I didn �t know that TOEFL has an expiry date.

I would like to take these exams because sometimes some people have called me to ask me if I can prepare them to sit for these exams, so I can �t teach something i don �t know..and apart from that, it would be great to include these examinations on my CV!!

5 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

You �re welcome ...

5 Jul 2010     

Yams
Argentina

I think CPE is very advanced for me.... I have to keep on learning English before taking it, but I really appreciate your suggestion...

I would like to start with something simpler (just in case Ouch) I �m not so confident in my level of English right now....

5 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Confidence is important ! Anyway, check the sample papers so you �ll see the difference between CAE and CPE ... I don �t think it �s so big ... Good luck !

5 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

Alicia is very right, half the battle is being confident in your skills and knowledge. The good thing to TOEFL, while being a bit harder (or so I get the feeling looking at previous exams and material related to the exam), it is impossible to fail! The exam is done on a points basis and so many points means you have an intermediate level or a high level or a low level - and you can retest again to get a higher point level! So actually both exams have their good points.  Smile  - Now all you need is to decide which one you want to do! 

5 Jul 2010     

sulekra
Australia

I agree with alicia that CPE is a better idea, most of those that I �ve taught were teachers who wanted a certificate to show their level. Either way, the Cambridge tests are definitely the ones I �d recommend. There isn �t a huge different between CAE and CPE, and remember you don �t need 100%, 60% will do:) So if you get around 80% in the CAE practice tests you really are looking at the wrong course and should be going for CPE, and you �ll be surprised how much you improve once you get taught the best approach and tips and tricks for each section. What ever you choose, good luck!

5 Jul 2010     

Argentineboy
Argentina

Hi! What �s up? I �ve got a question. If you are a graduate teacher, why do you need to take any of the exams you mention?

Anyway, I think there is a huge difference between CAE and CPE. Maybe, this difference is not seen regarding vocabulary (although the level is extremely high) but in content. The topics discussed in the paper require a very abstract way of thinking and to my belief that �s the reason why not so many people take the CPE.

You don �t need to have taken the exam before teaching how to prepare it. The layout is very easy to learn and you only need to be well prepared as regards your level of English. In my case, I �m teaching at a school where students take the CAE exam, but I have never taken it and that doesn �t mean that I fail as a teacher or the students fail when taking it.

Hope my suggestions are useful!

Regards,

Germ�n

5 Jul 2010     

Argentineboy
Argentina

Hi! What �s up? I �ve got a question. If you are a graduate teacher, why do you need to take any of the exams you mention?

Anyway, I think there is a huge difference between CAE and CPE. Maybe, this difference is not seen regarding vocabulary (although the level is extremely high) but in content. The topics discussed in the paper require a very abstract way of thinking and to my belief that �s the reason why not so many people take the CPE.

You don �t need to have taken the exam before teaching how to prepare it. The layout is very easy to learn and you only need to be well prepared as regards your level of English. In my case, I �m teaching at a school where students take the CAE exam, but I have never taken it and that doesn �t mean that I fail as a teacher or the students fail when taking it.

Hope my suggestions are useful!

Regards,

Germ�n

5 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >