Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Book for preparing PET    

Book for preparing PET

Zora
Canada

Book for preparing PET

Hello my dear friendly friends!!

I am in need of a comprehensive book for an adult who wants to prepare the PET level (B1) exam. He is VERY weak - i.e. bad, and I mean very - can�t stress this enough here!! He comes every year with some oddball idea and this year, month, week... it is preparing for PET... which of course, he will not end up doing since it requires time and effort which he doesn �t seem to have or put forth!

Soooo... teacher here; at her wits end, in need of a good book since she refuses to spend hours trying to prepare him for something that she unfortunately already knows that he won�t finish...

Cheers,
Linda Smile

6 Jul 2010      

stexstme
France

Well, Linda!
Can �t help - But love your post!!LOL
& she �s off!LOL ( OK. You were right about promises. Sooooooo what ??? I �m just doing it so that you feel you �re a clever person - That �s all.
Has to do with friendship!Approve)
Hug

6 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Linda, I don �t know of a good coursebook, usually they just have similar exercises to those of the exam but nothing else ! Here �s one I use, with exams, but with explanations for the different papers ... Maybe it �s useful ? If it �s not, sorry, that �s all I have  !  Hug

6 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

Ahh, my wonderfully crazy Sylvie! LOL I knew you couldn �t stay away!! I mean, how could you?? We are just so much fun!!! LOL Wink

And thank you Alicia. We are on the same wave length!! Smile  Alas, I was on the site an hour ago and I was like "OMG, this is too hard..." then I got to thinking... "Yes! Maybe... I should show this to him and make him reconsider his crazy idea!" lol

But seriously, putting all my evil thoughts aside, I did download one of the books - which will be too hard for him and that is why I am here asking (begging on my virtual knees Clown ) for a somewhat easier book!

6 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Linda, here �s a link to two "coursebooks" , I guess they could be the "easier" choice ... though if he �s so bad... I have a st like that in FCE , and she �ll take it in December ... go figure ! Anyway , maybe this can help, otherwise ... no idea !  ( I use the first book myself )

6 Jul 2010     

0Lynxy0
Russian Federation

Hi Linda) And what about "Target Pet" books? You can also find this set on englishtips, by the way.

6 Jul 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Can �t help too!! Just dropped by to say hi and miss u!!!
Kisses,
Butterfly

6 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

I just downloaded "Target Pet" and it seems to be closer to what my student needs! (He �s not even really KET level... Ermm but anyways... )  Thank you Lynxy for the great suggestion. Smile

Nebal! Sweetie! How are you! And thank you Baiba for the tip.

6 Jul 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Dear Linda,
I have used PET Practice tests Plus 1. The book is good because it gives all kinds of useful tips in addition to exam tasks.
PET exam is as difficult as it is, and if that person is going to take it, he needs to be aware of the level I think. Approve

6 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

Thanks Baiba for your suggestions. And I agree that the students should definitely be aware of the difficulty of the exams but unfortunately, this person hears bells but ain �t sure where they are coming from and hates to be told that the only bells he �s hearing are the ones in his head!! LOL In other words, he ignores my advice because *he* knows better than I do! *rolls eyes*..  I �ve gotten to the point that I just accept his money, smile and do my best with the little I have!! lol

6 Jul 2010     

baiba
Latvia

What if he comes to the lessons only because he wants to see the teacher??? Wink

6 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >