Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can I say so?    

Can I say so?

savvinka
Russian Federation

Can I say so?

Hi, everyone! Hope you have a nice day.

I need yr advice. Can I say so:

My mother-in-law is a difficult person to get on with

Thanks,
Olga

6 Jul 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Yes! ;o) I hope it is not true, though, for once. 

6 Jul 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

My mother-in-law is a difficult person to get along with.

6 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

to get along with or to get on (well) with somebody
http://www.englishpage.com/prepositions/phrasaldictionary.html

6 Jul 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Savvinka

Your sentence seems grammatically correct Clap, though, I myself would consider it a VERY BIG MISTAKE.
ALL, all, I mean all that cross my life, either mine or someone else �s, are DIFFICULT PEOPLE TO LIVE ALONG, so  and only if I were your teacher and IF you were my student, I would correct it to:

All mother-in-laws are difficult people to get on with

The Portuguese word is SOGRA; we usually play with it, pretending we are speaking "kind" of Russian and we say:
How do you say "sogra" in Russian?
And the answer
"SOSTORBA"

This means, in Portuguese, sHE, the mentioned one, only bothers.( s� estorva )

Never,never met one I could say - she is a kind woman.

Now, and when you spite to air you get it back, now I am a mother-in-law.!!!!!!!!!!
Kind of difficult thing to manage, but my new boy, son-in-law, is a wonderful guy.

Well, I am not giving up my role, of course, we are just talking - it �s important people keep their traditional roles, so that we all know who is who.

Hugs
Linda

6 Jul 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

@ Olindalima: In Romanian we have the word "soacra" for "mother-in-law", and we have a saying, "soacra, soacra, / poama acra", which would be "mother-in-law, mother-in-law, / sour fruit"... but we all hope our mother-in-law will not be a sour fruit!...Big smile... at least until we get one LOL.

Hugs to everyone,
Catalina

6 Jul 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Catalina
I �ve just learned a new word in Romanian !!!!! WOW ! It �s quite similar to ours
SOACRA = SOGRA
We both have languages that come back from old Latin, so this is not to be astonished, but it �s always funny when we think some other language may be very difficult and, suddenly, we discover these similarities.

Besides, we have other similarities LOL - it seems that soacras/ sogras are kind o poama acra,both in Romania and in Portugal; in Portuguese, this  could be, not a common translation, but to follow the route of similarities = fruto acre. ( acra = acre )

This is what I call a REAL LESSON!
Thanks, teacher
Linda

6 Jul 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi, Linda,

When I asked for help I meant to ask people to correct mistakes if any and didn �t think anout my sogra. I can see the sentence made you recollect yr mom-in-law. Will you agree  if I say that it �s one of the interesting things in teaching languages - you teach them grammar and at the same time you can discuss  everything!
As to my matrimonial experience- my sogra is nice and clever, but I prefer to be in a distance!!!
Life has taught me! BTW, in Russian we say  (in translation) "Mom-in-law is a long tongue." There is a window plant with long sharp leaves, we call it "mom-in-law tongue".

Have a nice evening,
Olga

6 Jul 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

I just love this intercultural thread!!!!!Heart

@ Linda: Lots of Hugs,

@ Olga: Well, I guess we took it from Russia, because we too have a plant called "mother-in-law �s tongue" LOL, especially in the eastern part of Romania.

Have a nice day everybody,
Catalina

6 Jul 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Savvinka

I KNEW, I KNEW,
there had to be some deeply , cultural language, which must have the right word to define this specimen......

And the award goes to....

RUSSIAN LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only one which , in fact, put in evidence the most perfect, terrible, spooky, frightening aim of a LONG TONGUE / SOACRA / SOGRA.
That �s their most hilarious and terrifying face.

Hugs
Linda

6 Jul 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Me again

I was not that correct, when speaking about
LONG TONGUE / SOACRA / SOGRA

We also have something, here, in Portugal, we call
mother-in-law �s TONGUE.
Sorry, I didn �t mention it, because I feel deeply sad, deeply unhappy, because we call such a bad name to some wonderful, delicious cookies that, in the old days, when I was a kid, were sold on the beach.
Fortunately for me, at that time, I could eat them and didn �t have to think about the name. Meanwhile, they disappeared!!!!!
The cookies, not the -in- laws.

LOL - love this forum
Linda

6 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >