Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > How do you feel about correcting other´s worksheets?    

How do you feel about correcting other´s worksheets?

libertybelle
United States

How do you feel about correcting other´s worksheets?

I�ve downloaded some really great material here and appreciate all the hard work that has gone into making them.
As a "native" English speaker, I�ve also noticed a lot of spelling mistakes and other small errors on some of these worksheets.

I make typos too - no doubt about that - but these materials we share are going out to our students, and as teachers, it is our job to make sure the material is correct.

I try not to offend anyone, and hope I�m doing them a favor by pointing out some things that ought to be corrected.
Kids today are really on the ball and are quick to find mistakes in written materials.

Do you think we owe it to each other to correct each other�s materials by giving them a little hint?
L
Ps
I�ve just uploaded a new holiday worksheet/reading sheet for the smaller classes.
It�s still "free" if you want to download it.

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=138143#thetop

27 Nov 2008      

Zora
Canada

I think it�s a great idea but then again, I am also a native speaker... but honestly, I think it would improve the quality of some of the worksheets. Heaven knows, I�ve downloaded stuff and just scanned the stuff as I normally do for obvious errors and come across - after I made photocopies - grammatical errors.. Pinch

PS: I also admit to having typos sometimes... I am a very BAD typer... Cry

27 Nov 2008     

skarfreak
Philippines

perfectly fine with me... everyone has the capability of making mistakes... i will be grateful if somebody will make suggestions/ correct errors i might make... "Only fools refuse to be taught.. " PROVERBS...

i�m not a native speaker. I do have a lot of mistakes, i believe so... but i welcome every thing you may suggest in near future... hehhee...

let�s help each other though...

GOD BLESS US ALL...

Christmas is approaching...

27 Nov 2008     

SueThom
United States

I cannot, of course, speak for anyone but myself, but that I can do:  I would really appreciate it if people would point out errors (typos, definite misunderstandings on grammar points, whatever)  on my worksheets to me.  That�s specifically why I put in an email address and now that we have private message capability (thank you, Victor) it makes it that much easier.

That said, I have never pointed out any errors to anyone else as I�ve not had any way of knowing if they feel the same way.  Also, I don�t know that I want to become the "worksheet police".

So, could those of us who actively solicit info regarding errors (or potential errors) in some way mark our worksheets?

Sue

27 Nov 2008     

Anna P
Brazil

I agree with you, libertybelle!
Mistakes are a great learning opportunity.   If we all help each other correct our mistakes it would be a real WIN WIN situation in which everyone would profit - the site, our students and ourselves.
I like SueThom�s idea of having a mark on the worksheets of people who are willing to learn with their mistakes.
I definitely am!
It is 2:30 AM here in Rio! I need to sleep!
Anna

27 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

I also feel perfectly well. I�m not a native speaker and I possibly make several mistakes  so I would also appreciate it if any of you point out errors on my messenger or private e-mail address.

I also think that being a native speaker doesn�t guarantee that a person can�t make grammar, vocabulary or expression mistakes. In my own language not only I make mistakes but also I have seen that many people, even highly qualified ones, do. Besides making mistakes  also depends on certain emotional factors as well as being tired or highly stressed when you design your ws.

Finally, I would like to say that I�m learning a lot from this site. I sometimes read some expressions that are new to me so I look them up in the dictionary to check how that word or expression works. So, thank you all.

27 Nov 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

I recall several weeks ago we had a similar discussion, this topic seems to do the rounds.  If I can remember correctly, the general consensus was that most people welcomed corrections which could be made in the comments section - but that was before we had the personal contact system.

I think the big issue was the way that corrections were pointed out.  Abusive comments such as �You call yourself an English teacher� and �This is ALL wrong� are not exactly constructive remarks.

I would suggest that if errors are found, then a personal note to the originator pointing out the error would be appropriate.  I too am a native speaker, and even though I try to check my wurksheets proper, I still seeeem to maik a fuw miner miztaks.

27 Nov 2008     

marzenka
Poland

I am afraid I sometimes make some mistakes in my comments because I am a student of English philology so I learn permanently. But I try to check my worksheets carefully. I also learn a lot from this site and I develop my vocabulary reading your comments :) But when I download a worksheet from somebody I think it is normal to check it because we are only people and even native speakers can make a mistake. 

27 Nov 2008     

bow wow
Israel

As a native speaker ( we call it mother tongue) I agree that everyone makes typos and sometimes drops a word here and there.   And you can give the page to 3 different people to be proof-read ??? and they won�t catch the mistakes.

I�ll be honest,  the materials are great and everyone is really creative.  I love the site.  My problem is that when I try to look at a page while it is rolling down before I have downloaded it, to see if it is useful,  it is very hard for me to proofread.  I have downloaded 44 pages but to be honest at least 10 of them I decided were to much work to fix for my needs. 

For example,   the sentence structure needs work,  or there is  vocabulary  (slang - that only someone with a lot of exposure to English could catch) in a text that would be considerd bad if an English speaking parent saw it.   

My main need is unseens- reading comprehension tasks with lots of different kinds of questions.  So I take the text and build my own questions and sometime even 2 versions if I want to use it for testing.

Being new to the group,  I personally would love for someone to correct or add on to my work and send it too me.  I understand the sensitivity of the situation so maybe we just send the new copy to their private mail with a note saying , "I loved your work,  this is what I have done with it.  Thanks for sharing."   If they have a question regarding the changes they can ask.   I would never take credit for the work because I know how many hours we spend preparing things so why not take advantage of eachother�s talents and help make the pages even better.

*  As I mentioned in an earlier mail,  my pages are almost always simple without borders and very little pictures and this is on purpose.  You are welcome to take my pages and decorate them as much as you like.   But, don�t send me copies.  I�m only interested in receiving repairs or additions to the texts.

Keep up the excellent work.  Thank g-d I found you guys. Have a great day.

PS  Why isn�t there a spelling check on the "Post reply" .  I proof-read this note 4 times and I�m sure I missed some.  "it wuld hlp prvent so mny speling mistks".  : )

27 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Gosh, I know the feeling... some days I make more mistakes than others, I get caught up thinking about something as I am typing and "viol�" I�ve left out a word, ran one together or just misspelled it. Or there are days, you just feel "stupid". It�s like the brain is on overload and I can�t speak or think properly in English or in Spanish... Tongue

I think that if people would like ... I wouldn�t mind proof reading stuff for them before they upload it, if they aren�t sure about the context, vocabulary or grammar structure. I do teach grammar... and more importantly... I actually love it, strangely enough.... since I know that grammar isn�t necessarily a very "fun" part of learning a language.

But if anybody wants to email a worksheet to proof, my address is [email protected]  

27 Nov 2008     

bow wow
Israel

Hi Zora,  you must have a lot of free time.  I don�t think I could handle proof reading peoples work before they upload it but,  if I�ve downloaded and made some changes I don�t mind sending it back so they can see

27 Nov 2008     

1    2    Next >