Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What to do if....    

What to do if....

franknbea
United Kingdom

What to do if....

Dear colleagues,
What is the best approach to take if you find a  work sheet/powerpoint/ on line exercise etc is full of mistakes?
This is not the same as copied or stollen and the errors can be anything from typos to gross misspellings factual errors.
Is the best approach a pm to the author with advice or should you point it out to the moderators?
I certainly don �t want to rain on somebody else �s parade, so I choose the PM option but I need to know if this is ok or not.
Please advise.

6 Aug 2010      

Mariethe House
France

OMG! Frankie! If that was the case for any of my ws ( OR if it IS, indeed)LOL I would rather have a PM. And I think most people would! Anyway to "talk more rational" Smile There �s no mention of that in the rules! 

6 Aug 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello dear Frank, Hello dear Mariethe! Smile

Frank, I think it �s better to send a PM or ... mention this in the comment box if the mistake is little and can be easily corrected by the author of a WS.

6 Aug 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

this has been my experienced...i have pmed, but i have got some nasty pm back, not everyone likes to be corrected, so if i get one of those i go to the comment box and point out the mistakes so other members are awared.  but i always pm first. never do this on the forum unless it is your own ws you are correcting.  

6 Aug 2010     

yanogator
United States

No, don �t ever do it in the comment box. I was sternly (and politely) reprimanded for doing that. Always send a PM. Most of the members are very appreciative of that, in my experience.

Lizsantiago, I �m sure that you received far more thanks than nasty pms, and you �ve probably found, as I have, that most of the members do send thanks for helping them.

Bruce

6 Aug 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hiya dear Frank,

Well, many a times I find mistakes in some members � worksheets, but I never thought of telling the member. Don �t know why. But, from now on, I will send pms for any kind of mistakes.
If you find any mistakes in my worksheets, please feel free to tell me wherever you want. I �m always pleased to be corrected by others since I know no one is perfect .:0))))

Have a great day,
Butterfly

6 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

When it �s a slight mistake, I sometimes write a short remark in the comments box, but I always do it as polite as possible. E. g. I write "I hope you won �t mind me telling you that there �s a slight mistake in your ws." OR "You might want to correct this tiny mistake I found in your ws: ..."

If there are a lot of mistakes, I won �t say anything. I hardly ever write a PM to a member, because I simply haven �t got the time to do so. Or let me put it this way: this kind of thing is definitely not at the top of my list of priorities. ;)) To give you just 2 examples: creating new games/wss for my ss and moderating are much more important to me.

6 Aug 2010     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Hi!
If I were you, I �d send a PM, I �d never do it in the comment box.  But, to tell the truth I don �t usually correct other people because most people don �t like it. I only do it when I think I know the kind of person I �m dealing with, I mean all those teachers that are good enough to acknowledge that we all make mistakes. Nobody is perfect! I don �t mind being corrected at all!
Hugs from Portugal,
Cristina

6 Aug 2010     

angelcris
Brazil

Franknbea,

I really do think that the best option is to send a private message warning the author that there are some mistakes. You should point out one as example, as you wish.

I would like to receive a private message like this - I always write it in my presentation of my ws.

Cheers!!

�ngela Cristina

6 Aug 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

yanogator, dont get me wrong i dont post the mistake as a revenge , just to make other teachers aware of a mistake when i know that the ws creator wont correct it or let others know. i love when people realize there is a mistake in my work and let me know, because that will help me avoid having me realized the mistake when i am in the classroom using the ws, especially when it comes to my ppts. i also understand that some people hate this but i think that is more than fair to let others know and to tell you the truth i have received more nasty pms than thks when it comes to pointing a mistake. but as i said this is my experience.

6 Aug 2010     

Babs1966
France

If I was to have made Typos or mistakes I would appreciate any message as I think we all learn from our mistakes.
Even if you try not to make any mistakes it can happend ;) None of us are infallible Tongue

Good question Frank Thumbs Up

6 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >