Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > MISTAKES    

MISTAKES

blunderbuster
Germany

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=464011

7 Aug 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks to everyone, esp Apolo. I �ve just found it in my favourite dictionary http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/open_2Smile
I guess it �s a pretty vivid example how teachers affect their pupils. "Open the books on page..." (sorry I have to mention it againEmbarrassed ) was what I �ve heard from my teachers throughout my school years and then as a student-trainee when I came back to school during my graduate year at the University. So let �s teach our students better EnglishThumbs Up
Sophia

7 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

OK ... Thx for the links ... Now, I �ve been teaching French in Oxford for two years, & - if I remember well - not sure!!! - I did hear : �Open your books on page ... �
1/ Either the teacher ( British ) was wrong - why not...? ( I �ve read here some things about the French language & I would never use the same as some natives would...)
2/ Could there be a difference between A English & British English on that point ??
I �d be glad to hear what native-speakers would say... :o))) from any English-speaking part of the world. ( Thank you so much, Apodo!!)
One never stops learning...!! That �s why this site is - ... the best one - ever!! ( referring to Blunderbuster �s post)
Sylvie

7 Aug 2010     

Babs1966
France

It �s easier to say :

"Close your Books!"

(I �m out Embarrassed 
just being silly)

Hugs Babs

7 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Babs, ...

AngryNOW - you are not helping us!!! ( Being silly is all right - though ...Approve)

HeartI checked your site : You �re a WONDERFUL lady - I �m glad we met!

7 Aug 2010     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

When I was a student my teachers used to say �Open your books on page �!� and that�s exactly what I�ve been doing for the last 20 years. Well, according to ueslteacher�s favourite dictionary I�ll have to start saying �Open your books at page �!� I know we�re always learning, but this is definitely a great surprise for me.

Hugs from sunny Portugal,

Cristina

7 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

They hammered AT AT AT into my head when I was a student, so thank God I never got it wrong as a teacher. But dozens of training teachers still say "on" and hardly believe me when I tell them it �s not correcdt. 

7 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Not to be ... Hmmmm .... too �thick � ..!!!! But.... Are YOU sure ????
Couldn �t ANYONE here say : � On � is correct ??? � Plizzzzzzzzzzzzz....!!! Big smile
Could a British colleague be wrong ??? ( when using : Open your books on page 20...??? )
Hey! I did understand - & got !!! - all the previous anwers.... Don �t worry! ;o)))
Still ... I �m .... sortof ... amazed!!! You know, I live - & teach - just by the Channel - & have lots of British students - & British teachers /colleagues. I �ve always heard ...ON ....when one asks :
Open your books .....page .....
Not that I do not trust you, friends, but .... I �ve always been told ...on ... in this phrase/sentence. I understand the other examples, of course.
I do hope we �ll get other messages - not �threads � - please : I do not need to know what should be taught, but what is actually used.
Really surprised - .....
Expecting posts from native-speakers - I am!Approve

7 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Just like "on" the picture and "gun" instead of "gone", huh? ;o)

7 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Thank God I do not have all your hatred.

7 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >