Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > MISTAKES    

MISTAKES

poki
Slovenia

omg, thank you for this enlightenment!!! It �s true, we never stop learning!  Hug

7 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

...& Still haven �t got the answer - as far as I am concerned.Wink

7 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

As far as British English (and presumably Australian)is concerned, at is the answer. Open your books at page whatever. Not on, not to - at. There is no argument whatsoever. Apodo is perfectly correct (as is elderberrywine). 

I have no idea if the Americans use �open your book to page... �; it just sounds odd to me and I can �t recall ever hearing an American teacher use it.

7 Aug 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

NOPE, you can �t say �open your books ON page �. It �s wrrrrroooooonnnng....I learnt this truth a few months ago and it took me a week to switch to �open your books AT page �.
Ummm, i �m not a native speaker but think of me as a near native cuz I spend 24 hours a day thinking in English and speaking English...lol
Sylv, since you are expecting replies from native speakers, know this:  I am wearing a tomato proof coat Approve

7 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Thank you all!!!

7 Aug 2010     

estefy_busso
Argentina

You can learn a lot of things everyday in this wonderful site!!! Big smile

Well, since I started studying English I was taught to say "Open your books on page xx" or "Open your books at pageXX".

I found that "Open your books to page xx" is used in the US!!!

I think none of them are wrong! Apart from that, English is a very flexible language!

Cheers!

7 Aug 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

Yolprica, I think you should not lost your time pointing something that is not wrong, the best cambrige books and oxford books bring it as on  page, maybe there are others variants but not mistakes. You should consider it.

7 Aug 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

It is OPEN YOUR BOOKS TO PAGE 23.
The book is open on page 23
We finished reading on page 23, line 4.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

7 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Stern Smile
I �m off. & will be checking all answers ...some day. Thank you all. I �ve read everything - & its opposites. 
 I tend to trust native speakers ( sorry;o)
Thank you ALL!!!!Big smile

7 Aug 2010     

Babs1966
France

Sylv, I �m half native
so you �ll trust me half way I guess Tongue

When I was 19, I went to Brunswick university in North Carolina (near a town called Southport) and Teachers would say

- Open your book page 12 (or whatever number)

Sorry for being silly earlier today Embarrassed

Best thoughts to all,

Babs

7 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >