Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Parasol, Umbrella, what īs the difference?    

Parasol, Umbrella, what īs the difference?

jocel
Philippines

Parasol, Umbrella, what īs the difference?

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask if someone know the difference between "parasol" and "umbrella"?

Thanks for your help in advance! Have a great weekend!

8 Aug 2010      

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

A parasol is to protect from the sun, whereas an umbrella shelters you from the rain!

8 Aug 2010     

viccxx
Greece

A parasol is an umbrella held to protect from the sun. Have you ever seen those quaint Victorian ladies with their little frilly umbrellas? those were usually parasols and were held for the sun as the standard of beauty then was for the woman to be as white as possible

8 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Wikipedia has an interesting take on this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella

Downunder we donīt  use the word parasol (nor do we use them - we just slip on a shirt, slap on a hat and slop on some sunscreen).  Although umbrellas are generally for the rain we call our large beach parasols beach umbrellas (beach brolly for short).

I must say, Iīve never heard the term bumbershoot or gamp referred to by Wikipedia.

Cheers

Jayho

8 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

I īve always thought parasol/sun and umbrella/rain, too. 

We have an annual Bumbershoot Festival here in Seattle, but other than that, I can īt recall ever hearing the word used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumbershoot
http://bumbershoot.org/

Sue

8 Aug 2010     

yanogator
United States

There are also golf umbrellas, that are mostly for the sun, too. I think that those for the beach and golf are called umbrellas because of their size, since parasols are usually dainty.

Bruce

8 Aug 2010     

jocel
Philippines

Thanks everyone!

It īs a big help! Hug

Have a nice weekend everyone!

8 Aug 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Parasol in Spanish literally "for the sun"

8 Aug 2010     

Babs1966
France

Parasol are used to protect two, three, or more person from the sun on the beach
as an umbrella is only used by one person who wants to protect herself from the rain.

But I īve cheched in my Harrap īs shorter as I īve never heard parasol being used in English.
But it is used and you can also say: Beach umbrella or sunshade.

Have a good day

Babs

8 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Not correct Babs. 
Little  frilly parasols - often used in France and later in other places were used as sun parasols and not umbrellas; used for protection from the sun.
Today Parasols are huge - often used in the backyard or at the beach - but back then women used them to protect their skin from the sun.

8 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would agree with everyone above - parasol is for the sun and umbrella is for the rain.

Interestingly enough it makes more sense in Spanish - parasol - īfor sun � and paraguas - īfor waters �. Reading the wikipedia link I wonder why umbrella was chosen instead of paraguas!

Lindsey

8 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >