Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Do native speakers ever say "I have a doubt"?    

Do native speakers ever say "I have a doubt"?

Apodo
Australia

Doubt really means uncertainty or disbelief.

This is how I use doubt:
I see many of you non-native speakers have doubts (concerns about the correct use) about how to use �doubt �.

He hasn �t got enough money to buy a new car and he doubts that he �ll get a loan.
She said she would be here on time, but I have my doubts.
He said he �d help but I doubt if he will.

If there is something I don �t understand or something I am doubtful about I would say:

There �s something I don �t understand
Can someone please explain this? 
I am unsure about ......
I have a question.

doubt [daʊt]
n
1. uncertainty about the truth, fact, or existence of something (esp in the phrases in doubt, without doubt, beyond a shadow of doubt, etc.)
2. (often plural) lack of belief in or conviction about something all his doubts about the project disappeared
3. an unresolved difficulty, point, etc.
4. (Philosophy) Philosophy the methodical device, esp in the philosophy of Descartes, of identifying certain knowledge as the residue after rejecting any proposition which might, however improbably, be false
5. Obsolete fear
give (someone) the benefit of the doubt to presume (someone suspected of guilt) innocent; judge leniently
no doubt almost certainly

10 Aug 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

One thing I tell my students is to never directly  translate because often between two languages there is a misunderstading as to how something is used.
On this one, I would agree with Linda 100 per cent.

10 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

What a lot of great explanations here!Clap

I �ve noticed that many non-native speakers use that expression
(I have a doubt) no matter what country they come from.

I find it very sweet and such a great part of this site - but....
no, we don �t use it like that.

I usually say - I �m in doubt about..... where to put adverbs in a sentence etc.

Perhaps one day you will be able to have a doubt about something - why not? 
You all might start a new trend - and that would be great!!)
Hugs
L

10 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Dear Libertybelle,
I beg to differ. It maybe that famous difference between American English and British English but I have a doubt about something is used extensively in the UK, altough it is more common to hear I have a question usually followed by the question itself. But I have a doubt about something is used usually when referring to someone �s plans or future intentions

10 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3