Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Do native speakers ever say "I have a doubt"?    

Do native speakers ever say "I have a doubt"?

yolprica
Spain

Do native speakers ever say "I have a doubt"?

I have always heard "I have a question" but people keep on saying "I have a doubt", is it real English? Thanks in advance
Yolanda

10 Aug 2010      

sulekra
Australia

I probably wouldn �t use doubt at all, more likely I �d say "I don �t understand something", "I �m not sure about something" or "I have a question about something" as you mention, but you can say "I am in doubt about something"...

10 Aug 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

G �d mornin � Yolanda,

Thanks a lot for raising such "doubts" regarding some misuses of English. I �m really benefiting a lot.

Well, I use both expressions.
Can �t wait to hear from the native speakers. Where are you Zora and Apodo?

Nebal

10 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Yolanda, I believe there is a whole thread about this from some time last year.

It seems to me that this is a typical mistake that people with a hispanophone background make. It would be interesting to explore mistakes that are typical for the respective nationalities.

Regards

10 Aug 2010     

yolprica
Spain

I �m sorry but I can �t find the thread. I think, as Nebal says, it would be good to talk about the issue again, as there are a lot of people who are not sure about the correct use of this expression. Thanks anyway
Yolanda

10 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I remembered you starting the thread back then ;o) Here it is. 

10 Aug 2010     

yolprica
Spain

It is interesting to have a look at that thread because it is clear that we shouldn �t use "I have a doubt" but "I have a question" but it is necessary to remind people the correct use of certain expressions so that they won �t make those mistakes again; at least I like to see these questions in the forum because I learn a lot from the opinion of different people. Thanks blunderbuster for your help
Yolanda

10 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Yolprica,

I don �t know if you check the birthday list. By checking this list I noticed that this community is growing faster than it used to. There are more "new members" than "old members" (I was in the top half but only joined last December) and there are more people coming on board, and faster and faster. There will always be people that make mistakes (I don�t mean typos) that they shouldn �t, natives or non-natives.

But I agree with you, there are threads that should not disappear into the void, they are too valuable and informative.

Regards

10 Aug 2010     

donapeter
Romania

But...can we say: I have no doubt? 
Or ...I have a doubt regarding......

In my opinion doubt is not the same as question. 
doubt means : hesitation, reservation, distrust.
question is: inquiry , issue 

Two different things. 

edit post: I have doubts about my relationship with X. is not synonym with I have a question. questions about it. 
It sounds "English" enough for me : having doubts 

10 Aug 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Could someone tell me... I just wonder...

edit
after seeing zora�s post: 

I doubt she will come.... I have a doubt about her coming to see us....( yes, definitely after a preposition)

I wonder if she will come

10 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Yes, I have a doubt regarding something is correct as is I have no doubt.
I have my doubts about his ability to govern is also used.
It is only not used in the sense of Yolanda �s question. I have a doubt instead of I have a question is not really used.

10 Aug 2010     

1    2    3    Next >