Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary help needed    

vocabulary help needed

mish.cz
Czech Republic

vocabulary help needed

Hello, dear colleagues,�

I �d like to ask if you know an English word for one fantasy creature, which I hope also exists in English fairy tales. It is a human like (or humanoid LOL) creature, living near or in water areas, usually wearing a green tuxedo and a hat with a red ribbon

I found the word "kelpie/kelpy". Is that correct? Or is there any other better option?

Thanks in advance, Mish

18 Aug 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear Mish,

I think that "kelpy" isn�t the correct word for this creature. Here �s a useful link:

According to the information provided on that website, a "kelpy" looks more like a horse than like a human being.

I�ll try to find the right word though. ;))

Hugs - Silke

18 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

I �ve tried to translate "Vodnik" from Czech before, but it �s very difficult - it seems like almost every country has their own unique version, and the Czech and Slovak folk creature doesn �t really have a direct translation. Kelpie is British I think, but it �s not human, it �s a horse that can transform into a woman. They �re both types of mythological water sprites, so I just ended up describing it as a male water sprite...

I �d be interested in hearing what other members suggest, I �m sure there will be a large variety of these water creatures. While in the Czech Republic I �ve heard of the Hastrmann, which I assume is German, Kappa from Japan through a video game I played, and the Scandinavian Nix...

18 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

leprechaun? though they �re forest creatures more, I think...

18 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

These sites might be of some help to you:

BTW, what an interesting topic!! WOW!

18 Aug 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

It is not a leprechaun, it is called a WATER GOBLIN.
There is a youtube link to Antonin Dvorak �s classic music VODNIK - The Water Goblin.
�The Water Goblin � (Vodn�k) - Part 1/3 - by ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtoCUsDCRuk
I recommend this music to all people who like classics...

The water goblin is usually a cunning creature, he likes to drawn young girls to have a nice wife...

18 Aug 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

according to the link given by LADYBIRD you may call it Vodnik or  Vodianoi as well...
All cultures have SPECIAL creatures and special names... you may call it a water goblin, which means a small water creature (unfriendly male creature)...

Vodianoi
These were water spirits in Slavic mythology that supposedly lived in underwater palaces made from sunken ships. They were depicted old men with long green beards, covered in hairs, scales and slime. It was said the Vodianoi were offended by the boldness of humans, and would therefore cause swimmers to drown. They took the drowned down to their underwater dwellings to serve as slaves, with the exception of millers and fishermen, whom they might befriend. Vodianoi were often married to Rusalka and like Rusalka, they may have been the spirits of unclean dead. Some thought they were able to transform into fish.

18 Aug 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

@ Anita, You are correct that leprechaun is a forest creature, unfortunately not usable:-) BTW, check your PM

@ Silke, thank you very much for explaining, I had no time to search "kelpy" more, yet, but it fully corresponds with what Sulekra wrote. BTW. How do you call this creature in German? I studied German for several years but �didn �t come across this word (surprisingly:-). Is Sulekra right explaining the Czech word Hastrman as of a German origin as it surely sounds?

@ Sulekra: It is so sweet to find somebody knowing these words in my mother tongue:-) I found all the translations you mentioned but I had no idea that the fantasy world is so plentiful. In the end I condsidered water sprite the best as well but it seemed to vague to me...

Anyway, thank you all, my dear colleagues

� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �

18 Aug 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Hello,
a water spirit seems vague term to me... It can be both male and female...
A water goblin resembles an ugly male spirit with bad character... Seems more appropriate to me...

18 Aug 2010     

junya
Ukraine

Maybe you can use the word "nix"

18 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

What �s a "nix", dear junya?? In German we call a mermaid a "Nixe"... However, if you mean a mermaid, it �s certainly female and not male. ;))

18 Aug 2010     

1    2    3    4    Next >