Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pissed off?    

Pissed off?

monicap_87
El Salvador

Pissed off?

Is the expression �pissed off � considered to be offensive for natives? I mean, when we talk about some who is very mad. Thanks! 

19 Aug 2010      

sulekra
Australia

To tell some to piss off "Piss off John, I �m done with you for today" would be mildly offensive, put I don �t think saying "I �m so pissed off, nothing is going well for me today" is offensive, maybe just a tiny bit crude.

19 Aug 2010     

dennismychina
China

Hi Monica, The actual meaning of piss is to urinate, so not the best language in certain company. However it is a widely used expression Pissed off is a phrasal verb meaning; 1. To make someone or to become angry. �.it wasn�t returned / completed in time and now���.. am/is really pissed off. 2. Used as an expression of angry dismissal. Oh piss off Mark, you are annoying me.
BUT! I�d rather be pissed off than pissed on.
Enjoy.

19 Aug 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

If I was still living in NZ and I said I was pissed off to one of my FRIENDS then no one would care. If I said it in front of my BOSS then they would most likely not appreciate my language (depending on how close my relationship to my boss is).

It is a type of phrase that amongst English speaking friends would show how upset and angry you are about a situation.
I would never ever use it in front of colleagues (unless they were friends as well) and certainly not in front of anyone of authority (my team leader, boss etc)
AND NEVER IN FRONT OF STUDENTS.

If you TOLD someone to piss off (and not in a jokey way to a mate who is trying to be funny but is really being annoying) but in an angry way, then  possibly expect a confrontation....

19 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I wouldn �t use it in polite company, but it �s quite commonly heard. It would be considered (mild) swearing. It can mean anything between a bit irritated by and quite annoyed with.
Uses:
Something which really pisses me off is chewing gum on the footpath.
I was quite pissed off by John today. He didn �t help at all.
She was so annoying today hanging around all the time. I just wished she �d piss off and leave me alone.
To tell someone to �Piss off! � means �go away � and can be offensive depending on your tone of voice & how you say it.
 Another meaning for pissed is drunk. He got a bit pissed at the pub last night.

19 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Monicap,
I agree with all the previous posts but add;
PISSED OFF; unlikely to be taken as offensive if spoken among friends
Piss Off; however is not only rude but very confrontational. To say that to someone would be to expect a swift response of the same ilk or even physical.

19 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

I agree with everything said above by everyone. Smile  And since we are talking about "piss"... don �t forget this (I believe) English term, which I found rather strange when I first heard it... "taking the piss"... which means being mocked or teased.

19 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

Well explained! 
I would just add that the word "piss" is considered rude in almost all "polite" society.  Unless you are just among friends I would never use it.

19 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Zora, did you ever come across the mock-pompous �extracting the urine �? 
Oddly enough in Glasgow, where creative swearing is considered an art form, �taking the rip � is a common variation - as in "You takin� eh rip, ya nugget?" (imagine Robert Carlyle saying it).

19 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

Ah my dear Almaz, I am afraid that I haven�t ever come across such a polite way of saying "taking the mickey". You Scots are truly "The Masters of Quaint and Not-So Quaint Euphemisms" ...  LOL

19 Aug 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

We also using �bagging someone �  for �taking the piss � or �taking the mickey

19 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >