Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I have a doubt     

I have a doubt

colibrita
United Kingdom

I have a doubt

Hi Everyone

I hope nobody minds me pointing this out but gosh, if I had a dollar for every time somebody posts "I have a doubt"..... or one of my students says this when they don �t understand something, I �d be a very very rich lady (wouldn �t give up English teaching though. Honest!!!)

See if you can catch a native speaker saying it though! It �s just not something we say when we are having problems understanding something, even though "doubt" is to do with uncertainty.

When you �re not sure about what the difference between "among" and "between" is, or why your w/s has been reported, or the difference between "going to" and "will" for the future, how about saying:

"I have a question"
"I �m having trouble with..."
"I have a problem with ...."
"I don �t understand ....."
"I �m confused about ...."
"Can someone help me understand..."

Now of course, I had my doubts about posting this. But hey, I �m going to stick my neck out. I doubt most of you will mind.

Have a great weekend everyone!

La Colibrita

21 Aug 2010      

mariannina
Italy

Hello, dear Colibrita! "Can you help me understand" your sentence "I �m going to stick my neck out"?  Is it an idiomatic saying related to old times beheadings?
Thank you so much and have a wonderful weekend.
Ciao

21 Aug 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Hi Mariannina

Good question! In fact I have no idea where the expression came from but I �ve come across this:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/7/messages/461.html

I like the turtle idea!

Anyway I can tell you the meaning: to give an opinion which some people may not like or are afraid to give.

Best wishes

21 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Thanks, Colibrita. That �s really an interesting point. And it helps to know stuff like that from native speakers... 

Btw, I just love idioms - once you try to translate them logically, it �s like Lewis Carroll....

21 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

But you CAN say
I �m in doubt about something.  (not I have a doubt)

good message!!!

21 Aug 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Hug

21 Aug 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Yay, Colibrita. I would also be a rich woman. I �ve got to the stage where I hardly flinch any more when my students say "I have a doubt".
Thanks for the alternatives as I �m often lost for a more natural correction.
Libertybelle is also correct.
Cheers Joy

21 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hug Ah, my dear colibrita! I would also be a millionaire if I had a euro each time I heard "I have a doubt"... and like Joy, I have gotten to the point that I hardly flinch or go into silent convulsions anymore when I hear it! lol

Thanks again, for "sticking your neck out" and gently reminding everybody about this very common faux pas...

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

Hugs!!

21 Aug 2010     

cristinasuma
Spain

Well, if I got a pound for every pupil who says something like "I have a doubt" (even if it is not correct) I would be really happy but I would certainly not be rich. Some pupils will just nod their heads when I ask "Did you understand?" or "Is there any doubt/problem?" even if they haven �t understood at all. Unhappy

21 Aug 2010     

Learning Together
Argentina

Great post! It`s so important to have a native speaker �s correction!
Don`t be afraid! Say everything you think Colibrita.. In the end we spend our lives studying but we �ll never sound natural.. Thumbs Up
Thanks a lot

21 Aug 2010     

kaz76
United Kingdom

Thanks Colibrita for a great post.  I have been a member here now for 2 and a half years and the first time I ever saw this phrase was in this forum - I have seen it used so much that I started to �have a doubt � that it was wrong lol.

21 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >