Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > How to start?    

How to start?

ELOJOLIE274
France

My mum is a dressmaking teacher in a SEGPA, her colleague who teaches English uses what they do in the "practical" sujects (workshops: dressmaking, cooking, bricklaying, plumbing...) to teach them English. for example, with can "I can iron", I can cook a cake..." and it works! they learn the vocabulary because they might need it in their jobs!
don �t give up!
Elodie

24 Aug 2010     

jmalone77
United States

Hi,

I am the program chair of a university ESL department and have taught ESL for 10+ years.  You need to get away from using grammar as a central part of your approach with these kids .  Do what Elojolie274 says and use content as the center of your approach.  Grammar and vocab should be supplemental in your contact with the students, but central in your lesson outcomes.  A sustained context will improve students � retention. 

You say �to be � and �to have � are difficult for them, and you imply that these are simple concepts, but the truth is these are very complicated.  This is compounded more by any learning disabilities.  Treat these kids like adults also and get away from thinking of them as stupid.  You probably should take a more professional view of your students - they �re paying your bills.

24 Aug 2010     

stefemma
France

I know it �s hard because I also had to deal with Segpa students. It �s frustating but believe me, even though you think they can not learn, some things remain!

Elojolie �s advice is a good one, and as you said you already know them, you could try to focus on their interests: music, cinema,sports, jobs... And wether they are weak or not always remember that any kid likes challenges!  Sometimes you come up with an idea and think it is too difficult for them, but they like it, they like when you give them the opportunity to show they are not "stupid" as you call them! They are not stupid, they have difficulties to deal with what seems natural to you, so you must adapt even though it �s difficult!
Proceed by small steps and they �ll manage to do great things!

Good luck and don �t give up!

24 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi Marion,
I do understand what you mean...I �ve been teaching Special Needs for more than 20 years..& I can remember how I felt at the beginning. As we both are French, I guess you �re speaking about SEGPA or EREA.
One can cope with the young ones - not so quite easily though! - But teaching the 16 - 17 year-old ones is soooooooo difficult!! ..&, can I say it ??? a bit frightening. Most of them do not reach the level of a primary kid ( Skills, understanding, native language...psychology...)Many come from poor families - & can be violent, as violence is the �language � used at home!!! ( esp. with female teachers!) We know that....
As I understand your question is about the 3�, I �d share a few ideas :
1/ Do keep in mind it �s a team work. You really need to ask your Directeur de Segpa & colleagues for help...
2/ Do not teach grammar - but try to have them use basic English to communicate ( at the very beginning of the school year) ie : Your first �s�quence � could be : I can introduce myself & meet friends ( My name �s, I am (age), I live in ,I have a brother .... etc = they �ll use be, have, numbers....with I & you, only ) My 3�Segpa love it when I take a mike & tell them : " OK!! You �ve been very good! We �re going to make a cassette!"
3/ I do not teach chapters like " Likes & dislikes + food = too difficult for them ) , but they role play ( at the restaurant ) . I usually buy English biscuits, tea, scones...so that they can practise with real food.
4/ When they have training periods, I work with my SEN colleagues & prepare ws about jobs, asking them for personal details ( These kids need a one-to-one relationship)
5/ Always remember that these kids use violence mainly because others lokk down on them - & they resent it.
I always tell them they �re just like my other classes, even if their level of English is different. They have to learn woodwork for ex, when the ones they call "normal" don �t.
6/ Working a lot for them ( they know it!!) & doing lots of different activities also means you have to be strict : Never promise sthg you won �t do. Be really strict about the language they use for ex.
7/ & last!!! Our French system of evaluating is not my cuppa ( It too often tells the kid how bad he is..)These teenagers need support - not someone to tell them they �re stupid or useless. We always prepare the tests together in class, & I usually give them 3 tests to choose from : A ( very easy ) - B ( easy ) & C ( a tiny bit more difficult ) : They �re free to take the one they want. You �d be surprised : 95% take C!
I hope this is not too long....I really wish you can find support in your school - or - maybe?? work with a colleague in your Acad�mie ???
Bon courage � toi, et bonne rentr�e!
Sylvie 
edit : (!) As these "kids" cannot memorize, we always learn together in class ( games, nice competitions - not too babyish as they�re 16 - 17...For ex, I write ten words on the board, & ask them to remember three. Some will make it a game to have more!Wink...I never give them any homework, either . I read some posts here suggesting using songs : It doesn�t work with them...as you�ve said : Too difficult!!! Even if some would not believe it ; we �re talking about handicap ...not low level... 

24 Aug 2010     

ynroko1
Slovenia

Have you got any children of yours?? Imagine that a teacher calls him/her/them stupid...
Try to change your attitude first and then the methodology/didactics...
Good luck.
Y.

24 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Jmalone and I agree about communication being the most important thing.
But I also agree with the others. 
In the US we never use expressions like stupid. At the very least we say:
Learning challenged or learning disabilities.

If you change your attitude - believe you can make a difference - show the class your enthusiasm - teach with joy  - believe there is something good in every child - then I �m sure you �ll have a better result than if you are negative from day one.

Find a method that works on your class - Don �t be afraid to try something different - be positive and praise them for all the good things they do and say.  It will rub off.   Everyone needs praise and encouragement - no matter how bleak the situation may seem right now.

24 Aug 2010     

olaola
Italy

I have been teaching difficoult kids ( learning disabilities or social difficoulties) for years, and I use visual aids to help them to remember ( films, computer, power points, interactive whiteboard or very easy and colorful ws), I prepare some folders for them one for each where I collect all their works so we can revise the work already done together.

24 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

With all students you have to be aware of how much they can be expected to achieve and then raise the bar a bit - that �s the only way to make an improvement (calling them stupid in no way helps). It is the teacher �s moral and professional duty to get informed of the possibilities of a group of students, so that if they have difficulties, you can know how much you can expect from them. Let �s take this post of yours as a step forward in the right direction - at least you have decided to ask for advice and help. Now all that �s left is to listen to some of the advice and apply it. Of course it �s going to take a lot of patience, but any work worth doing is worth the patience, and teaching anyone anything positive is a job worth doing. But if you truly think of them as stupid, I �m not very optimistic about your success. The problem is not those kids - they �re not doing it to you on purpose, they would certainly rather be in a regular class, having regular teenage problems, believe me. All student groups have their own sensibility, their own atmosphere, their own problems. I see it as a good sign that they �re asking you about things they don �t know - it means they �re interested, they care, they wish to learn. So many �advantaged � kids lack that...
Our students and their attitude towards what we teach them are our own reflections, like our mirrors... When you start seeing them differently, they will be different. Once you see them for who they can be, not for what they can �t do, only then will they be able to learn from you.

24 Aug 2010     

Claudia Tournier
Argentina

Teaching may be challenging sometimes! It is all about looking for ways! As most teachers suggested here: Try to change your approach...and avoid the word "stupid" ...you may say they are "difficult kids to deal with". Take the whole experience as a personal challenge! Good luck!

24 Aug 2010     

imelda
Mexico

Im sorry but i feel that LOVE IT OR LEAVE it applies greatly to teaching, try all of the great suggestions that everyone has given you here but if you feel that you have nothing to give to these kids its best for you and for them if you find another way of earning a living.

25 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >