Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > How to start?    

How to start?

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi my dear

I always get the best students in my school.Not because anyone picks them for me , not because some strange God drop them in my classes.

Just because, from the very starting I DO TELL them:
You CAN BE THE BEST.

I would never dare to write " They are stupid", Thumbs DownDead

However, some of them give some nights in blank -  trying to desguise what I can do to help them, but I know, if they don �t, it �s me who wasn �t able.

Now, a little note, no one is here listenong to us - I do, but I do understand you - some of them are really difficult and turn out to be the ones who won �t leave a fully sleepy night.

Just change a little bit the way you refer to them, the way you see them I and,  AM ALMOST SURE, THEY WILL, LITLLE BY LITTLE, STEP BY STEP, TURN INTO SOME wonderful kids.

Sorry for the capital letters, but I can �t change them ,not shouting, they won+t change to sensitive case, anyway, and I am tired, really, off, can �t change the letters, sorry.

wishing you all the best
linda

25 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

I totally sympathise with your situation. I �ve never taught kids in a special class of the same type you have, but I remember my first year in this job and I had what was basically a remedial class and they nearly put me off teaching for life! Luckily it was only one class and I survived. since then, I tend to get one difficult class every year but I can handle them now. I can tell you though, I call them all sorts of names in the staffroom ( a lot worse than �stupid �) - letting off steam allows me to go back into class and deal with them! I think every teacher has their own way of handling pressure. The teachers who love all their students are the lucky ones. If I love 80% in one year, it �s a good year for me!

I agree with most of the suggestions posted here. Teaching lexis rather than grammar is much more effective at lower levels. Focus on the positive - reward students when they do something well and always be encouraging. If that �s too much too handle with difficult students, be even more encouraging! If a student misbehaves, get them to sit next to you and tell them it �s because you enjoy their company and want to spend more time with them!

I also find learner diaries work well with low levels. Get them to write a sentence or two about what they did in class or what they did at the weekend. Don �t correct it - reward the effort rather than the outcome. As the year progresses, make suggestions for things to include and give them models to work from. I found that my students started to produce grammatically correct sentences without me teaching it explicitly.

Don �t give up. Some of the students from my terrible class that first year here were my students again this year. They �re now intermediate and lively, interesting teenagers who can maintain a conversation in English! They even told me that I was their favourite English teacher ever! This from the same students who used to make me cry in the toilets!

Lindsey

25 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

hi Marion,
Check this link :
Maybe you �ll find interesting ideas!! ...
All the best,
Sylvie

25 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3