Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > PET MISTAKES    

PET MISTAKES

anitarobi
Croatia

PET MISTAKES

Good evening, everyone!

I was wondering if you or your students have what I call - pet mistakes! You know those little spelling errors or slight grammar mistakes that you seem to be unable to get rid of? For instance. mine is always having to pause when I spell weird(never sure which goes first e or i) or unnecessary(always careful which is double and which isn �t). I �m not asking you to explain the rules - we all know them. I was just wondering which are the ones you or your students often make.
(In case you �re wondering why I �m asking, I �ve just been writing something and found myself checking those yet again and thought I might check with you and perhaps turn it into a ws.)
Thanks for sharing!
Anita

PS: I might not be here all evening, but I �ll check the thread from time to time, so if I don �t reply a question or two - I �m not avoiding anyoneWink...

27 Aug 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

my students � mistakes: witch instead of which LOL - their instead of there or they �re - environnement instead of environment (they spell like it �s written in French)...
mine: can �t remember any mistakes in English, but can find a lot in French...
good night!

27 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

My students - allways, whit instead of with, belive instead of believe...

27 Aug 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Great topic Anita!

We all know some legendary spelling mistakes made by our students but what drives me nuts is the use of apostrophe in the wrong places and wrong words, e.g. its and it �s!

Some of my students write plural like this - cat �s, plot �s, building �s etc. They mix possessive case and plural, and they seem not to grasp the difference.

This picture was posted on the internet as an example of such a mistake and it was taken in England!Cool

27 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, Anita!

That �s an interesting topic.

My ss have problems with the following words:

tomorrow
Wednesday
embarrassing
definitely (BTW, that �s a word even some native speakers here in the forum misspell frequently!! LOL ---> definately)
separate
possible (they write "possable")
address
words ending in -uous (e. g. continuous)
words ending in -ful (e. g. wonderful ---> wonderfull)
it �s  vs  its
your  vs  you �re (your invited Dead)
then  vs  than

I �ll try to think of some more...

Silke

Edit: Baiba, you and I wrote at the same time... I sooo agree with you! It�s a horrible attitude!! What annoys me even more than that is that my students are using the genitive �s in German. In German you don�t say "this is Baiba�s car", you say "dies ist Baibas Auto" without an apostrophe after the name. However, a lot of Germans (not just kids) have adapted that English genitive �s! Cry

27 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

A few years ago I started seeing Santa Claus spelt  Santa Clause, on account of that infernal movie. The thing is, it wasn �t just students or English learners for that matter.

Other pet peeves; There instead of their, or they �re instead of their.
Borrow when it should be lend
and the substitution of letters for words in text messages, such as, U=you
2morrow= tomorrow
4= for
and plenty more like that...
C U 2morrow, it really gets my goat upLOL

27 Aug 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Oh, I remembered the eternal problem with the vowels in beautiful!

And yes Silke, then and than is a classic!

27 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

AND it�s from an American website!!

I �m at a loss for words, I really am. *sigh*

27 Aug 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

My students have a problem between vacancy and vacation.  They often say I am going on vacancy instead of vacation.  Because most of my students are French learning English they often get mixed up with tree and three, third and turd.  They get a chuckle when I explain the meaning of turd.  It �s more of a pronounciation problem and not spelling.

27 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

on a hotel: wellcome, dear guests!Angry

27 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Hypercorrection is alive and well and lives everywhere in the English-speaking world. But I �ve never understood why non-natives should confuse a straight plural �s � and an apostrophe �s � if there �s no equivalent in their mother tongue (mind you, the jury �s still out on TVs or TV �s) unless a �teacher � somewhere in their past has been equally confused. 

By the way, Giovanni, I have an Irish friend who just can �t wait until Prince Charles ascends to the British throne!

27 Aug 2010     

1    2    3    Next >