Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dear collegues     

Dear collegues

Mabdel
Morocco

Dear collegues

Hi all !hope you �re doing well. Just wanna ask for help.
is it correct to say " What is oilve oil rich in?"  speaking about vitamins...

Thanks a lot in advance. I do really appreciate  your help.

30 Aug 2010      

Laly59
Spain

Hi dear Mabdel, it�s correct like this: In what is rich olive oil?. I think  I �m not wrong

30 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Errr, Laly, I don �t think you got it right...I �d tend to agree with Mabdel, but I �m not sure...Confused It sounds a bit ...weird.
Gee! It �s because I �m tired!ApproveLOL
If I were you, dear Mabdel, I wouldn �t  listen to Stexstme, & wait for clever & useful answers!Approve

30 Aug 2010     

denkmal
Austria

Hi Mabdel,

"What is olive oil rich in?" is perfectly right.

30 Aug 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

Thanks a lot Laly.So kind of you. Many thanks also goes to Adorable  stexstme and Denkmal. I think you �re right.  but There may be other ways of saying it.  let�s wait for natives .Thanks again. I do really appreciate your help.

30 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Mabdel,
Nothing wrong with the original phrase. It �s perfectly allright to say "What is olive oil rich in?"

Regards
Frank

30 Aug 2010     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

I think you are right Mabdel.

30 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Mabdel,

If you �re looking for an answer along the lines of "Olive oil is rich in Vitamin E/monounsaturated fats", then your question is fine. I think we can forget the syntactical somersaults involved in trying to obey the old-fashioned injunction against ending a sentence with a preposition (no offence intended, Laly).

If you �re uncomfortable with your original question (although there �s no reason why - it has the same structure as "What is Paris Hilton famous for?" with the obvious difference that there is a positive answer to your question) you could always change it to "Olive oil is rich in which vitamins?" if you �re looking for a specific answer.

I �m quite sure the forum denizens can come up with even better alternatives.

All the best,

Alex

30 Aug 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Alex, except I would say "nutrients" instead of "vitamins", to be less restrictive in the acceptable answers.

That �s how I see it.

Bruce

30 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

What is olive oil rich in - is correct - because the answer would be
Olive oil is rich in mono unsaturated fats.

30 Aug 2010     

Laly59
Spain

I�m not offended by that, what I said it because my native speaker did say it so, of course, in the context that has written Mabdel.

31 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >