Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dictation    

Dictation

yolprica
Spain

Dictation

I have invented this dictation for a beginners � exam and I would like to check with you if it sounds real English.
Thanks in advance

Hello! My name is David. I am twelve years old. I am very tall for my age. I have got brown hair and green eyes.

I live in a small town near London with my parents and my two sisters. We have got a big house with a beautiful garden. We have got three cats and a dog. My sisters are older than me but we play a lot together. My parents are teachers and work in a school in the centre of the town.

I am a good student and I like reading and writing stories but I love going on holiday in summer.

In August I am going to visit New York with my family.

1 Sep 2010      

lamyaa
Egypt

it seems fine to me :)

1 Sep 2010     

Mariethe House
France

just some minor corrections that would make the text more colloquial:( in my opinion!!)

in the centre of the town. in the town centre( british english!)

I love going on holiday in summer. I love going on holidays in the summer

2 Sep 2010     

melahel7
Canada

I wouldn �t use � �in the town centre � �, sounds odd to me.  I you were in a city you could say � �downtown � � but your story is set in a village.  Perhaps you could use � �in the middle � �...  Let �s see what other suggestions people can come up with.

2 Sep 2010     

inmanena
Spain

Since it �s a dictation for beginnersI think it �s correct. I use these sort of dictation for  my beginner students too. the sentences are simple, short and really understandable. Very good.

Well that �s my opinion.

Hugs

Inma

2 Sep 2010     

yolprica
Spain

I have changed it a little. Let �s see if it sounds better to everybody.

Hello! My name is David. I am twelve years old. I am very tall for my age. I have got brown hair and green eyes.

I live in a small town near London with my parents and my two sisters. We have got a big house with a beautiful garden. We have got three cats and a dog. My sisters are older than me but we play a lot together. My parents are teachers and work in a school in the middle of the town.

I am a good student and I like reading and writing stories but of course I love going out with my friends and doing sport.

I also like going on holidays in the summer to other countries. Next August I am going to visit New York with my family.

2 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I haven �t checked properly, however, I noticed THIS sentence straight away:

I also like going on holidays in the summer to other countries.

I think the correct word order would be like this:

I also like going on holidays to other countries in the summer.

Moreover, I have some minor corrections for the following sentence:

I am a good student and I like reading and writing stories but I love going on holiday in summer.

My version would be like this:

I am a good student and I like reading and writing stories, but I also love going on holidays in the summer.

In the next sentence I personally would change the word order again:

My sisters are older than me but we play a lot together.

My sisters are older than me, but we play together a lot.

2 Sep 2010     

yolprica
Spain

Yes, you are right, thanks. First where and then when.
Yolanda

2 Sep 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I agree with Mariethe: in the town centre.

2 Sep 2010     

yolprica
Spain

You are incredibly helpful, what would I do without you all? I am so grateful...
Yolanda

2 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

How about this? It sounds more natural.

I also like going on holidays in the summer. I like going to other countries and next August I am going to visit New York with my family.

2 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >