Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Sorry Philip    

Sorry Philip

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I know you just as much as any other member I have had contact with, MJ.
And that is, very little. Of course none of us knows one another very well. But you continue to make remarks as if you knew Philip like the palm of your hands.

And just so we get things clear, I �m not thinking anything. I mean... I don �t think anything bad about you, on the contrary. But I also believe that if any of us has had disagreements with someone down the road, we shouldn �t bring that up and revive something that was dead already. It doesn �t do any good.

All I �m saying is... you don �t know Philip, or me... or anyone for that matter... to keep saying that he or anyone is doing this or that, specially "playing god".

Well... I don �t want this to become bigger than it is. So, all I �m saying is that I consider you just as much as Philip, and if things were the other way around, I �d be doing the same thing, you can bet on that.

Wink

7 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

@Philip, you were not polite, and you know it....
Not everybody can guess you �re joking - ( & I bet you were not!! ) -  even if they do , I wouldn �t like you to tell me my ws is useless...- even if I was a newbie.. Evil Smile
 Just a thought ( ie = not important). Clown
Sylvie
BTW : I do not think the so-called ws is useless ( If I did, I �d keep my big mouth shut.)Who has given you the right to judge ws here ????????? Your being a native ????
 To Bruna : �you don �t know Philip, or me... � Same with Vanara. You don�t know her/him, do you ??? What makes you think one has rights to offend, yet another one cannot answer ???? Strange understanding of democracy.

7 Oct 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Sylvie Thumbs Up

7 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I deeply disagree with Philip �s tone when he says what is and isn �t needed in this site. Did Victor give him the power to decide in his place what he (Victor) wants in his site? I don �t think so, and if he did, he certainly forgot to tell us.

What I remember the owner of this site telling us is: you �re not to judge the ws quality or tell if they are useful or not.

Philip also mentions "grammar and spelling mistakes". As teachers we are all able to correct everything we think is necessary before handing the ws to our students.

Being a native doesn �t give you the right to call our attention to other person �s mistakes in a public forum, if you �re willing to help, just send the member a PM. We have tons of natives here who are nice and helpful. As a native you should feel glad because there are so many people struggling with your mother tongue, criticism doesn �t lead us anywhere.

Most of the teachers here are skilled at their first language, and they also try to improve their English skills to spread it over the world. I �d be grateful to anyone who tried to do the same with Portuguese and would do my best to help.

8 Oct 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

It amazes me this is still going on, even off the main page! Philip does touch nerves out there doesn �t he!?

And I believe some have interpret me as the "devil �s advocate", so I can see. I do not mind that. As someone else �s demons may not be the same as mine.

What I also believe that caused all of this was Philip �s answer being on another thread (this one) where he wasn �t unpolite or anything. his big sin was using a silly emoticon as a clear joke. Vanara somehow opened this thread to call him a child or a young teacher, which wasn �t polite (and I believe that she ackonowledged in her last post that she overreacted, so I could understand).

What I can remember is seeing so many having outbursts (and I mean, A LOT) over people not reading the rules (for the thousandth time) and coming to the forum and now suddenly one is Lucifer himself. 

But what I really don �t do is criticizing one behavior whilst doing the same.

And for the misinterpretation of my saying, what I said was exactly that NO ONE really knows one another in virtual space. And just for the sake of argument, for those who checked both threads, Philip was not rude to Vanara until called a child and else.
So if anything, he �s the one who was offended and then answered.
Either way... I wouldn �t agree to. But... who the heck cares for my opinion?

I �m betting no one of the two involved in this thought it would go this far. And they �re not even worried as to what we think of them. Why should they? Who are we!?

I did not share Philip �s thoughts when replying to this second thread. I do not agree with his opinion over what kind of resources are needed. But I �m not up for setting the bonfire for him, as I wouldn �t be for Vanara not reading the rules.

And that �s it outta me.

8 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

outbursts??

Giving my opinion, if I �m allowed to do so. And I don �t expect any of them to read or to think about it. As you said, we don �t know each other, so why should I care after all? Simple like that, huh?

Yes, the thread is running backstage, but some may still have something to say.

8 Oct 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Yes... ourbursts. But I hope you didn �t understand I was referring to you, Zailda. I was actually being very general.
But so we all can get a different view of the thing in another thread MJ was called rude by another member for not being (absolutely and utterly) polite when answering a newbie asking about points.

And she even spoke up "Yes, I am being rude, because I �m fed up"... is she a terrible person? Not from my understanding. From MJ �s perspective, doesn �t Philip have the "right" to be fed-up to!? Was she playing god for telling a member to read the rules?

People sometimes lose it. I remember you being harshly reprehended by some teachers for posting a pic of a cactus pacifier. Some considered that not teacher-like. Some said you were having a bad day (PS. My husband is always telling me: Bruna, only you and elephants never forget LOL). But I �m guessing you didn �t care, did you? I mean, you probably didn �t like, but that didn �t ruin your day, did it?

If you didn �t like others judging your attitude, however silly and naive it was, don �t judge others. If you didn �t care, maybe he doesn �t either. In the end of the day, everyone will act as they please. I don �t vote for that party, btw.

I believe I �m right in this matter, but "right" changes from person to person. My father-in-law tries to convince me to vote for Dilma, he thinks he �s right (he works in banks, of course). LOL. Just kidding (and only Brazilians will understand what I meant! Sorry for that, guys!!)

And for me, I care about the opinions of those I associate with in here; the rest, as they say, is story.

8 Oct 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I looked it up and this is the thread http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=22725

And I hope everyone understands that all the examples I �ve given are for better understanding that we may play the judge on one day, but we �ll all be sitting on the defendant �s chair a couple of times down the road.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

8 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

First: I didn �t accuse anyone of being rude. I understand that they feel bothered with so many complaints on the forum. I already had my bad day as you were kind enough to remind me (however I don �t forget either, I prefer to learn from past situations and I �m trying to act according to my learning).

Second: I said I don �t care whether he will read or not, or even if he �ll think about the matter. And I �m being very honest about that. I didn �t say I don �t care about the site, or the members, or the newbies, or any thing you have misanderstood.

Third: If you read again what I wrote, I didn �t take part in the "politeness" discussion, I only disagree with Philip when he says what is useful or useless for the site, and disagree when he mentions "grammar and spelling mistakes".

NOTE: I know some never forget and are always ready to throw our past on our face, and I wouldn �t expect something different from you. Do you have any other thing to take from your leaves, to prove I �m not perfect as a way to support your ideas against the way MJ or Philip address to other members or to defend one or the other? Even if you prove I �m just a human being (proud of it, believe me), am I still allowed to express my opinion?

8 Oct 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I REAAAAALLY DO need to work on my communication skills, because I wasn �t able to make you understand what I meant.

I (really, believe me) didn �t mean to "throw past on your face". Really didn �t. All I meant was to show that we all have our days, I for one was accused of hunting down a member by reporting his wss just this week.

I didn �t mean you Zailda said Philip was rude. When I wrote, I was trying to work on the matter at hand - A member not liking Philip �s answer, replying rudely and him being rude back ... and others criticizing... others.

And... all I did was trying to make everyone understand we �ve all been there. FAILED.

I even joked about my lame memory capacity for useless things. But even that got you thinking that it was something personal. Maybe my insomnia is really getting to me.

Well... It seems no matter what I say, I won �t be able to express what I mean. So maybe I should stop trying.

8 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >