Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Thinking outside the box / seriously looking and asking questions for those who have problems with this site    

Thinking outside the box / seriously looking and asking questions for those who have problems with this site

foose1
United States

Thinking outside the box / seriously looking and asking questions for those who have problems with this site

I have observed a lot since joining this site (not long ago).  People have asked why they cannot post a power point slide and why they receive errors and have not received a clear answer.  I have observed the very same people who tell the newbies, read the rules.  They actually break the rules themselves by stating on the message board that they cannot stand newbies asking simple questions.  Isn �t this agruementave and against the rules?  At the same time, I have tryed to upload onto the server numerous power point slides and got the same response, "http error??EKJDJ."  Keep in mind that I am reading the message board for possible answers to my own questions.  I have yet to see them.  The old timer �s, or shall I say the experienced ones, are so set in their ways that they have to say the same old thing, "read the rules."  I say to them, have you ever, "thought outside the box" and looked at the rules carefully? "Wait one minute and try again."  That is exactly what newbies do, wait one minute and then another and then another.  I could have written 20 Power Point slides for the number of times that I have waited.  Why not change the, "wait a minute and try again" to something more realistic? For example, I found that I had no problems uploading from 6:00 am Thailand time to 8:00 am Thailand time.  I don �t know why, and I don �t care why, but wouldn �t it be nice if someone from this site found out why and informed all of us newbies as to why?  At one time, I had a number one site in the SW of the grand ole USA and I know that there is a way to find out the peak hours.  So why not investigate and find out why there are so many server issues? For example, could it be because so many of us are downloading power point slides or worksheets that others trying to upload are having so many problems.  Please ask yourself, "why," before condemming us newbies as we may have more important things to do.  Sorry, I do not mean to be argumentive, as I am only trying to help. 

8 Oct 2010      

zailda
Brazil

If we try to upload something around Spain midnight we are more likely to get an error message. The server may be busy so we have to wait. The size also matters, if it �s almost the size limit, it �ll be rejected because uploading also increases the size in some kbs. And the document must be saved in ppt/word 97 only.

If nothing of the above helps, all we have to do is to wait and try again later, sorry.

8 Oct 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

The rules of this site are adjusted all the time, according to whatever needs and questions and problems come up .

They �re not something Moses dictated to Victor thousands of years ago. Before changing them, Victor often involves other members and asks for their opinion. So I don �t think the "old timers" are fossils who can �t even remember them and just repeat "read the rules" like a pointless mantra.

But we get the same old questions several times a day that could be avoided if people read the FAQ section or the rules.

And the �re not only about uploading problems and points which people are waiting for impatiently, they are also whining complaints about reported worksheets and mock-innocent questions like "what did I do wron" - and it �s just REALLY TIRING after a while to keep explaining again and again.

8 Oct 2010     

foose1
United States

See, we are now thinking, "outside the box." That is what us newbies want to hear.  Think you Zailda.  Where I used to work, we called this a, "hidden factory process."  You see, the old timers know more than they are willing to share.  You are great zailda for admitting it.  Thank you again!  Maybe, if this could be posted on the rules there wouldn �t be so much bickering.  At one time in my life, I had to go into the factory and find the, "hidden factory processes," that nobody would admit to.  If we think outside the box, we will realize that we already have an answer as to why the newbie is having so many problems. 

8 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

Like Zalida mentioned, there tends to be a "rush" to upload at certain times of the day. i.e. around midnight Spanish time usually; but I have found that this "rush" can even start earlier sometimes and have had problems uploading ws anywhere from 10pm Spanish time onwards.

Now, I would like to add that it seems to me that pp have more uploading issues than the ws or OEs (online activities). I wish, I could help you more on this but I have never uploaded a pp before. My "specialties" are ws and OEs. Also, I do understand your frustration at certain members lack of "welcoming" skills. As you might have read, Zalida got at the heart of the matter by saying that "if it annoys you, don�t answer a post..." but people are people and as people, we do make mistakes or say things that aren�t "nice" sometimes but may not mean... so pls forgive us, we aren�t a bad lot - usually! LOL

Cheers,
Linda

8 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Yes, Linda is right. Even if we are execrable, we do have good intentions (like most of those who go to the hell). And we try to do our best in order to help. But sometimes we get carried away and as we see a thread in front of us in OUR computer we think it is FOR US.

8 Oct 2010     

foose1
United States

No problem with me.  Let �s look at an answer that will stop the site from getting so many questions.  In the past, when I audited a company, I firmly believed that the problems were always associated with the work instructions.  In this case, I believe that it is the case.  Remember, people are not to blame for their actions as the actions that they take are usually because of something that they were taught or were following at the moment (like an instruction). 

8 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I tend to agree with you partially. We have clear instructions that were provided after heated discussions on the forum caused by the "old" rules that weren �t very clear at some points.

The problem is: even if we have clear instructions, tutorials and a forum full of answers for people to search, some prefer not to read them. It bothers some members (including me, sorry) but I decided to answer only if I �m in the mood of helping. If I �m not, I leave the thread for more patient and "nicer" members to deal with.

8 Oct 2010     

foose1
United States

Good! There is still the problem of trying again in a minute.  That is something that I cannot afford to do as I work for the public school system here in Thailand and have my own English School that I work.  Like we were taught in manufacturing: 1) don �t make it personnal 2) keep to the issue 3) think only of the issue and encourage possible solutions

8 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

As the site grows so fast I think we can do very little to avoid the "try again later" message. We have more than 400,000 members right now and when I registered one year ago we were less than 300,000.

As someone said, patience is not a teacher�s quality, but something we have to improve and learn day after day.

8 Oct 2010     

foose1
United States

Well, I will not try again in one hour.  I will try again in the morning.  Thanks for your help.

8 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >