Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day - Jactation    

Word of the Day - Jactation

lizamuni
Argentina

J=joy
ACT= to play a role
ACTION= this last part replace the words "ready, steady, go"

So JACTATION is  to start acting like if you were enjoying sth

That is the word I told my husband when we go to a formal party an he has to wear his tie!!!

JACTATION, please!!!

Having said this, my vote to chissmolder definition. We are full of "jactation" speeches!!!

HAVE A NICE SATURDAY

9 Oct 2010     

3boora
Saudi Arabia

jactation =  dictation  LooL

9 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hello everyone...

I know this one...as it happens to me every night....

9 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Jactation

I�ll have to be careful with today�s Word of the Day, because our Member  ï¿½Jayho� is from the opposite side of the world to me, where everything is upside-down.  I remember from the days of my Primary School, I was taught that when Ozzies say: �Oy, Oy!� it�s their way of referring to a yo-yo.

Moreover, Newcastle airport has an Acrobat Flying School.  I remember their toilet advice: �Leak before you Loop!�

We frequently forget what we learn!  That�s why I often give my students �Drill Exercises�.  But then I heard a teacher comment that �drilling� is �boring�!

I have developed a theory about Memory.  I believe that there is a tiny muscle that connects our Brain to our Bum (bottom, rear end, Gluteus Maximus).

We go upstairs to do something.  When we arrive upstairs, the Brain has forgotten what it was that we wanted to do.  Cursing our Bad Memory, we come downstairs and sit down.  The instant that the Bum touches the cushion � the Brain remembers what it was we wanted to do!

�I rest my case!�

I place my valise on the floor.

The German language has borrowed many words from English � �delicatessen�; �kindergarten�; and �rendezvous� are words that instantly spring to mind.

Jactation is another �loan word�.

�Ja!� = �Yes!�; �CT� = �computerised tomography� (a complicated medical process which give a three-dimensional X-Ray of the organs of the body as if you were looking at the dissected body from numerous directions); �ation� = �action� or �condition�.

Because, in German, this description contains so many long words, a fluent German-speaker needs 37 seconds, timed with a stop-watch, to say it.

But, many Germans speak beautiful English.  Consequently, highly-skilled German medical teams who face an emergency use this loan word.

�Jactation� = �OK, yous guys!  That�s an Affirmative!�

Les Douglas

9 Oct 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

@ Les...

Please enlighten an ignorant mind but isn �t Rendezvous borrowed from French?
Or is this ala "MY big fat Greek wedding" and everything stems from Greek anyway?Big smile

9 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Your absolutely right, Frank!  It is French!

My mind was distracted, because I was confusing it with the Italian word for �suppository �, which, as most people know, is �inuendo �

All the Best!

Les

9 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Of course it does Frank.....but this one is Latin...Big smile as I �m sure you know...

9 Oct 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

@ Dear Professor
yeah but the movie was hysterical and Michael Constantine was brilliant as the Greek Dad. I grew up with a lad called George Vorkas who �s Dad was exactly like that!

9 Oct 2010     

Sara26
Brazil

I really had some fun reading your guesses here!! 
Jayho, no idea what "jactation" means ...

9 Oct 2010     

Laly59
Spain

I think it means:
Jack from Jack�o lantern
tat abreviation of tatty
on preposition

Means: a rotten Jack o�lantern LOL

9 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >