Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > POLL Question!    

POLL Question!

douglas
United States

US- we almost always leave our shoes on (unless they are very dirty).

Germany- Here in the North most people remove their shoes in the entry hall.  In central Germany, where I previously lived, most people wear their shoes in the house.

I think if I asked people to remove their shoes in the US they would look at me funny or ask if I just had the carpets cleaned or something like that.

Douglas

11 Oct 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

I always take my shoes off the moment I get home.
I �m furious with my children for not doing so - their feet smell and they bring dirt into the house.
Many visiting children take their shoes off right behind the door and I wish my own children would do the same.

There is no rule about it in Germany, it �s  a question of comfort or family habit and also time of the year. In winter, when it �s wet and full of snow outside, we have a large plastic thing in the hall onto which we put the wet shoes.

11 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

When living in the USA we wore our shoes in the house, but after living in Europe I always take them off in the hallway and wear slippers or thick socks.
There are many reasons for this - among them are:

You keep the house cleaner.
You don �t know what you �ve walked on outside. (dog poo, for example - yuck!)
You don �t drag heavy metals into the house. (from car exhaust)
It gives your feet a rest.  (wearing the same shoes all day are hard on the feet)

11 Oct 2010     

yaryna1805
Ukraine

Hello! I �m from Ukraine and we always take off shoes inside when we come home! Have a nice day!

11 Oct 2010     

bckalba
Spain

Hi, I �m from Spain.
I take off my shoes n put on my slippers unless i know i wont stay long at home. But here in Spain it depends on ppl. Not everybody follow the same rule.

11 Oct 2010     

TeacherLada
Croatia

Hi! I �m from Croatia. Normally, when we come home, we do take our shoes off and slide into slippers; unless you simply come home for a few minutes and go out again.
When we visit relatives or friends, we follow their � �rule � � (you sort of simply know if your host would like you take off your shoes or not). My relatives or friends generally don �t ask their visitors to take their shoes off when coming into their homes. They all offer slippers in wet weather, though.

11 Oct 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Well, I �m a New Zealander living in Australia with a Malaysian daughter-in-law so I �m a bit mixed up. I always remove my shoes at the door (a habit adopted from my daughter-in-law)but my guests do not. I wish they would but it is not the custom. Personally I follow the rule of the house.
Recently I saw a TV programme called "The Good Life" where the couple, who have become self-sufficient farmers, wear their gumboots (Wellies) in the house. This appalls me. No serious farmer in NZ (or I suspect Aus) would do such a thing.

11 Oct 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I �m from Austria , but I am living in Brazil. I wear my shoes inside, but there are lots of people who take them off. So both possibilities exist.

11 Oct 2010     

hania_arshes
Poland

Hi! I �m from Poland and we usually take our shoes off inside the house and use slippers. Quite often we let our guests keep the shoes on, but frankly speaking they rearely do. :)

11 Oct 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi, I �m from the UK.  I, and most people I know, wear the same shoes outside as in, unless they �re very dirty or wet.  I do have slippers but only put these on when I get up and before I �m dressed.  My children, however, wear thick socks around the house and only put on their shoes when they �re going out.  This is their preference, not a house rule.  My elderly relatives always change into slippers immediately on entering their houses.  This is how they were brought up.  If I were going to somebody �s house, I would never take off my shoes and have never been asked to.  Having lived in different parts of the UK, I haven �t come across any particular custom regarding the removal of outdoor shoes.  I suppose if you were very particular about your carpets, you might be more inclined to remove your shoes.

11 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >