Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY -     

WORD OF THE DAY -

ELOJOLIE274
France

WORD OF THE DAY -

here is the link to the "word of the day" post
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=23363

Hi everyone!

today �s word is gadzooks

remember, do not use a dictionary/google, try to find your own definition, the funniest will have the chance to choose tomorrow �s word of the day.

have a great day!!!
Elodie

P.S.: for newbies, if you know what this word means, try not to put the real definition, but make a few funny sentences to explain what it means!!!

EDIT:
Okay, I know it�s raining in France, so many French colleagues are playing the word of the day game because they are bored, but what about the rest of the world??? play with us!!! but no need to use swear words, all right?

16 Oct 2010      

nandar,sp
Saudi Arabia

yesterday,I said "gadzooks" when I saw that a nun was being fucked by the priest

16 Oct 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Wow nandar, I guess "class" is not your middle name.

16 Oct 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

nandar. You don �t belong in this group. How can you go around making such disgusting insults. You shame your compatriots. How irreligious can one become.

16 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

Shocked too...I even thought of deleting my "definition" - which was meant to be funny only - But I won �t, because I think people are more intelligent than ..that.

16 Oct 2010     

mariannina
Italy

In my religion, of which nuns and priests are a respectful part, we say: "Respect if you want to be respected"! I assume that you don �t want to be respected nandar,sp.

16 Oct 2010     

adriennesmiles
Australia

Ok seriously....foul language is to be kept OUT of the forum....anyone else agree?

gadzooks:

gad - from the Indonesian gadis, meaning young girl (virgin to be exact)

zooks - from Dr Seus � book - "The Butter Battle Book" where we learn about the longstanding hatred between the Zooks, who butter their bread butter side down, and the Yooks who do it butter side up, "the right, honest way!" "Every Zook must be watched! He has kinks in his soul! That �s why, as a youth, I made watching my goal, watching Zooks for the Zook-Watching Border Patrol."

Therefore, a gadzook is simply, a female Zook.

sorry I cannot find a good picture of a Zook, but the read up on the origin of the story is quite fascinating: http://www.kosmix.com/topic/butter_battle_book

16 Oct 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Gad= generalized anxiety disorders
zoo= a zoo
ks= keep silent

A zoo where the animals are stressed and it �s better, when visiting, to be silent!

16 Oct 2010     

epit
Turkey

Please remove that uglly part of this post.Neither as being a woman nor a musllim  I cannot stand .I cannot bear cause It includes bad words to women and it is not possible a real muslim to tell this kind of words .Very ugly ,very bad .

16 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

As role models  -a teacher should never go down to the lowest level and use disgusting words or have a mouth like a trash can.

Your message is an insult to all of us here.

This is not the place for you.

16 Oct 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Nandar, I believe you are looking for attention.  Look elsewhere.  This is not the place.

Gad = short form for gadget
zoo =a zoo
ks = kiss

A gadzooks is gadget you put on your face when you give CPR to a zoo animal so that it doesn �t look like you are kissing it.

16 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >