Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > On the subject of older contributions    

On the subject of older contributions

Mietz
Germany

On the subject of older contributions

To follow up the conversation about older contributions, see this link:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2349

I only partly agree with aftab57. I agree that older contributions should be made more easily accessible, but not by reuploading them.

I think it might make sense to introduce more membership steps. If you�ve earned 30 points, you can download 30 of the recent contributions for free - as it is at the moment.
Once you�ve reached 100 points, you can download 5(?) older contributions for free per day (or so) and with over 500 points you can download 15 (?) of the older contributions per day for free as well.
That way there�s some reason to upload more printables that are somehow valuable to others and it gets the older printables back into circulation.

What do you think?

3 Dec 2008      

Zora
Canada

This sounds like the perfect solution Mietz Smile... although we get back to the new members needing the older worksheets more than other members here do. How about instead of reaching a 100 points, it�s 50 instead? That way there would be a bigger and faster rotation of older printables..

3 Dec 2008     

aftab57
United Kingdom

This thread business is very confusing. Anyway I think Mietz that your suggestion is an excellent  one,  because it also ensures that the new members continue to upload worksheets. The finer points about number of points needed etc will have to be debated.        The main aim at this stage is to have this issue discussed and hope that if there is some consensus then Victor might act on the members wishes. He is the boss and I will be happy with whatever he thinks is best for this site.

3 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Surely we already have the perfect system for this?

If you want older printables then you must design new printables and upload them in order to get points so that you can download older printables??

Once you have 100 points - surely you can download 70 printables without going under the 30 mark - this just means people have to evaluate which printables are the most useful to them. 

I use my points all of the time - even when I was a new member.  The 30 free printables per day is a huge amount, and then you can choose historic printables on a needs basis.

I think Victor has designed a wonderful system as it is.

3 Dec 2008     

Mietz
Germany

aftab57 - I just posted a new thread because otherwise hardly anybody would have read it...

I just made suggestions. Of course it all depends on Victor.

I�m not sure, if the second step should go too low, though, because I prefer to keep the standard of contributions high. Maybe 50 points = 2 free old downloads etc...

3 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Mietz,

I think it is a good discussion topic as we have a lot of people requesting freebies lately.  It is always healthy when we can have a debate with differing opinions.  I can see your point of view completely and respect it.  It is just that on this one we seem to disagree. 

I think people need to focus on their printables to improve them so they can download whatever they want.  There seems to be two types of requests for help:
1) I really want to improve my teaching and would like some help to design great printables - please help
2) I really can�t be bothered doing anything much and would like something for free - please help

I really enjoy helping the people in the first category.

I really don�t enjoy helping the people in the second category (although I know some people like to help both categories - and that is fine as well). I think there are plenty of websites catering for people only wanting something for nothing.  I love this website because it promotes teacher development.

I also think that the people who use this website to improve their teaching practice are able to access everything they want and need with some assistance from members in improving their worksheets.

I think the second group of people will just be encouraged to list stolen worksheets to get something else for free...

I really do value your opinion and look forward to reading more on this topic.
Vickiii

3 Dec 2008     

memthefirst
Turkey

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=140024#thetop
SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE READING PASSAGE FAMILY GUY

3 Dec 2008     

aftab57
United Kingdom

I disagree with Vickiii on this. If I have points in the hundreds I still have to use them effectively and think of my long term needs in terms of my teaching. Supposing I did use up 50/100/etc  whatever no. of points downloading from the older worksheet --- the points are going to members who don�t really need them because they have thousands of points already , I know many members who have points in excess of 10,000. What are they going to do with these points? So I guess this is why I like Mietz�s solution/suggestion because it ensures that noone gets something for nothing.

The other point to bear in mind generally is that not everyone is ok with technology and manipulation of different software etc which is certainly required to produce more attractive worksheets. I have developed rudimentary skills and haven�t really got the time to polish them so my worksheets will continue to be hopefully useful but not visually attractive etc.

3 Dec 2008     

Anna P
Brazil

I believe that in some cases it is valid to �reupload� old printables.  My first contributions � the �What�s in the�� series were super simple and got around 5 points each.  I improved and edited these worksheets but nobody saw them.  After reading frenchfrog�s and ichacantero�s tutorials I completely redesigned the printables (although the essence was still the same).  I deleted the old ones and uploaded the revised edition � following a suggestion I read at the Forum � and they got a lot of points, some of them more than a hundred.  So, if a printable is not very successful, I think it is wise to delete it and upload a better version.  

Happy Holidays!

3 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Anna and aft,

You have both made some very good points. 

I agree aft that not everyone ha the computer skills to make visually attractive worksheets (and sometimes it is just the time that is lacking).  I am not sure what the solution to this one is....

Although older members with lots of points do not require more points to download, the points do provide them with a feedback mechanism so that they know what people want in the future.  As most people can not be bothered (or do want to make the time) to provide verbal feedback - it is only the points that really provide developers with the feedback on their worksheets.  Therefore even though someone may never use their points - it is still a valuable tool.

In regards to reuploading a worksheet you have completely redisgned and improved - I agree Anna - it would be best to repost this type of worksheet after deleting the old one.  Really when you have put that much work into something it is a �new worksheet�.  This also demonstrates how the points system can inspire people to really work hard on developing their worksheets and improving their teaching...

Happy �nearly there� holidays!

3 Dec 2008     

Mietz
Germany

I think Vickiii made some good points about the fact that the points aren�t just there for collecting, but also for using them for downloads. Good point actually.
Two things though - in case one introduced a second step or so of membership, then these printables would get points every time they were downloaded. Also they�d get comments again.
Also - I don�t have that many points though, because I haven�t had time to upload anything recently and I had a bit of a non-creative spell. I will get there and share again, but until then my points have actually gone down quite a bit, so I�m feeling I have to keep them together, just like money and I don�t go spending, though I could sometimes really do with getting some perfect material quickly. And as I�ve said before, that would enhance the likelyhood, that people don�t just spend the free points on the new materials. (There might also be a chance, that that diminishes the number of people downloading stolen worksheets, just because it would cost them points to download it from the person who actually made it.)
I absolutely agree with Vickiii though, that it shouldn�t be made too easy for people who don�t want to bother investing something to gain something. I�d absolutely accept this as a reason to leave things the way they are. As I said - it was just an idea / suggestion.

3 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >