Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY -     

WORD OF THE DAY -

ELOJOLIE274
France

WORD OF THE DAY -

Today�s word is "quixotic"

Try to define its meaning in the wittiest, most comical, or most stupid way.  If you know what it means, don�t tell us, please, but give us a silly definition of it, instead.

Remember, NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS � just ideas from your head!

The Member announced with the best definition WILL CHOOSE TUESDAY�S WORD.  (If you don�t want to choose a Word, let the Forum know, please.)

The Winner will be announced tonight on the forum and he/she will receive a PM!

Have fun!!!Wink

Elodie

EDIT:

oups I forgot to put the link to the 1st post!!! silly me!!!

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=23631
Keep playing !!!

25 Oct 2010      

colibrita
United Kingdom

Yes, easy one this, it �s used in the expression a "quixotic holiday" (quick + exotic). It refers to those expensive long-distance trips people sometimes make for just a weekend, because they really want to treat themselves by escaping to somewhere more "exotic" than neighbouring countries. Perhaps they hop on a plane in London on Friday night, fly to NY do some shopping, do a tiny bit of sightseeing, take in a show, or go to a club, and then fly back Sunday evening or Monday morning. Mmm, it �s a hard life for some, eh?!!

25 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Quixotic...it is an interrogative..qui= what?  xo= a kiss and hug (of course) tic= an insignificant pest
Quixotic therefore is a question that a person asks an aquaintance (or family member)when asked to hug a person they don �t think much of.
What? You want me to kiss that  piece of $*%$#? or something like that. That is a quixotic.

25 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

WORD OF THE DAY - "quixotic"

The English author, �Sir A T Quiller-Couch�, wrote under a pseudonym, (which was very uncomfortable for him, because he was a very tall man).  The alias was �Q�.  This alias kept him out of trouble with the police for many years.

However, the French, in order to make more work for English school-children, invented the phrase �nom de plume� (�name of the pen�).  This is really quite inaccurate, because there is not one name of a pen, but several --- Papermate, Bic, Parker, etc.

What was worse, they then introduced: �La plume de ma tante�, (the pen of my aunt), which has haunted English school-children ever since, especially those who don�t have an aunt.    

�Q�, born in Cornwall, in the UK, is infamous for his publication of a complete list of Members who have actually read the �Rules and Instructions� of ESLP, and, without fear, he reveals all 7 names.

In addition, he wrote movingly, in his novel of modern-day dancing: �Robotic or Quixotic � Which Shall It Be?� about the problems of where a girl should put her handbag.

This incisive, melodramatic, and extremely boring handbook of the Art of Ballet could be regarded as a manual.  (Indeed, his co-writer was Spanish!)

The Pages, (but there are no Servantes), describe every movement.  (Please note, I don�t mean �movement� in the Medical sense).  I mean �dance movement�, from the �pas-de-deux� right through to the �pas-de-twelve�.

Every gesture is scrutinised until it can be scruted no more.

Even the facial expressions are examined minutely, every sixty seconds: �The smiles; the frowns; the ups; the downs, are second nature to me now; like breathing out, and breathing in!�  (Obviously, �Q� saw himself as a second Professor Higgins, the linguist in �My Fair Lady�, singing "I�ve Grown Accustomed to her Face").

And this brings me to our definition.

�Quixotic!�

�Q�= the author, �Sir A T Quiller-Couch�; �ui� = �You and I�; �x� = �the unknown factor�; �o� = �oh!�; �tic� = A �tic� is a sudden, repetitive, non-rhythmic, stereotyped motor movement or vocalization involving discrete muscle groups. Tics can be invisible to the observer, such as abdominal tensing or toe crunching: common motor and phonic tics are, respectively, eye blinking and throat clearing.

Quixotic = As �Q� so wisely wrote: When you and I first met, something happened to my life, but I didn�t know what it was.  Oh!  It was so wonderful!  I blinked my eyes; I cleared my throat; but I couldn�t speak.  And then I realised: �Love Changes Everything!�

Les

25 Oct 2010