Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Antivirus    

Antivirus

Zora
Canada

Antivirus

Hi guys,

I believe that I picked up a virus from the site; and now I am in need of a good antivirus, if I am to continue being a member here since it�s getting too expensive to get my PC fixed.

Can anybody tell if AVG 2011 is a good antivirus?? I am stuck between purchasing Kaspersky, Bitdefender and AVG or Avast...

Any opinions or experiences with the programs is greatly appreciated.

Hugs,
Linda

27 Oct 2010      

s.lefevre
Brazil

I use Avast and I have never had a problem.
Norton is very good too.

27 Oct 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I think AVG - even the free edition - does a very good job. Saves you some money as well.

27 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Hi Linda,

I �ve been a Norton user for almost 20 years.  It sometimes slows the computer down more than I like, but has always protected me well.  Can �t real say much about the others. 

I know the company I work for uses Kaspersky and as far as I know it works well (this is where I usually access ESLP).

Douglas

27 Oct 2010     

jamiejules
France

Hi Linda, I have the free AVG and I have had no problem with it at all.
good to see you by the way!!
XX

27 Oct 2010     

ellakass
Israel

I have Kaspersky for about 10 years.It works well.
Good luck.

27 Oct 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

i have AVG free edition and Avast! both of them work great!!!

27 Oct 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I have the free AVG version, too, but can also recommend Kaspersky as I used to use that one frequently a couple of years ago. I have also tried Norton, but didn�t like it...

27 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

After having used the expensive Norton, Kaspersky and Panda successfully for some years, my computer technician installed Avast for me. It is a free download and he claims it is very good. Up to now I �ve had no problems with viruses so it seems to be working fine, saved me quite a bit of money and since it doesn �t expire you also don �t need to worry about that anymore....

Success, I would hate to lose you to a virus.....

27 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

Thank you all for your guidance. I had Avast installed on my desktop and it didn �t seem to catch whatever it was... Now, I am hell-bent on keeping my laptop safe, so I am going to fork out some dough and buy an antivirus today.

I have the free version of AVG and it seems to be working fine, so that is probably what I �ll go with since I�ve had Norton before and it really slows my system.

There are so many opinions out there (I �ve been checking sites). At times, you get the distinct feeling that they are a bit biased and not being completely objective about other products... So thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Hugs,
L.

27 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi Zora!

I have 3 installed, each in one computer: Avast, AVG, Norton. They �re all good, but you need to set them to "update every time you turn the pc on". There are tons of viruses created every day and it has to update as much as possible.

I use addictional protection to catch malicious softwares: wot (it �s a Firefox extension that warns you about "bad" sites and softwares), Doctor (from Google) and McAfee Scan Plus (it scans the pc to check the other antiviruses... LOL), use a firewall and keep the microsoft protection always updated and running.

Well, I haven �t caught a virus since I got those computers 3 years ago. I think something is working properly but I can �t tell you exactly what... LOL

Have a nice day!

27 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >