Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

agagug
Canada

Word of the Day

I still do not know how to make this post stay on the forum for the time allowed for contestants to participate... Therefore, I post it again, but I promise this is the last time.
So, here it is again...

Dithyrambic.

Thus, according to �lodie who declared me the winner of the last WOD post,  here is what you have to do:

Try to define its meaning in the wittiest, most comical, or most stupid way.  If you know what it means, don�t tell us, please, but give us a silly definition of it, instead.

Remember, NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS � just ideas from your head!

You can also reply to a previous post...
May the wittiest win!
Agagug

27 Oct 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

Here �s my "daffynition": 

di - two

thyr - pertaining to the thyroid gland

ambic - using either of two (such as ambidextrous, two right hands)

So by this "logic," dithyrambic means pertaining to both sides of the thyroid gland.

Not the wittiest, but I �m a relative newbie to this.

27 Oct 2010     

millmo
France

rambic must be referring to RAMBO, "dithy" is an ancient word used to indicate someone that is a little crazy at times. Therfore, dithyrambic is a crazy person that runs round in a headband  trying to rescue innocent bystanders that don �t infact need rescuing!

27 Oct 2010     

arlissa
United States

di - two
thy - relating to the thyroid
rambic - relating to the character "Rambo" from the movie series of Sylvester Stallone

Then the meaning of "dithyrambic" is two thyroids of great power and large size (as Rambo �s neck is rather large and powerful).

27 Oct 2010