Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Asking for help    

Asking for help

teacher drica
Brazil

Asking for help

Hello everybody,

I �m doubtful. Is correct to say "He �s a dancer and singer"? or Should I say "He �s a dancer and a singer?"

Hope to hear from you.

29 Oct 2010      

sosoo
Palestine

hi 
I think we can say he �s  adancer and a singer .

29 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

If you say, "He �s a dancer and singer", it implies that he does them at the same time. Even then, it doesn �t sound natural, so I agree with sosoo that you should say,"He �s a dancer and a singer."

29 Oct 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

COULD BE HE �S A DANCER AND A SINGER,TOO

29 Oct 2010     

teacher drica
Brazil

Thanks for helping me!

29 Oct 2010     

epit
Turkey

Hi I couldn �t  understand  why dancer comes first .If there is a  reason ,could you explain  ?I think that depends on which qualificantion is predominant .For example ,Tina Turner is asinger and dancer .Of course ,that is  not a rule just only my thought .Hugs

29 Oct 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

She was not asking if dancer or singer should come first!!! she was asking if she should say he �s a dancer and singer (without the article A) or he �s a dancer and a singer (with A)....

30 Oct 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

You are certainly right, el_profe... However, why shouldn �t epit be allowed to state her personal point of view? Is she not allowed to ask a question? ---> "If there is a reason, could you explain?"

Wink

@epit

Sorry, but I �m not able to give you a satisfying explanation I �m afraid, so let �s wait for a native speaker... ;))

30 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

If you put the stress on AND - then it can sound impressing.
He is a dancer AND a singer.  (like impressive!)

30 Oct 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

sorry if I sound disrespectful, it was not my intention!!! I just try to clarify to her the doubt of @teacher drica...

30 Oct 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@el_profe

I �m sure you didn �t mean to be rude, and I �m also sure that epit had understood teacher drica �s question very well! ;)) She just had another question, that �s all.

Have a relaxing weekend...

30 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >