Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reported worksheets    

reported worksheets

mena22
Portugal

Hi Milka! I know you understand now what was wrong with your woeksheets. Sources should be added as well as some activities for the students and then everything will be according to the rules.

Have a nice day,
mena

3 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

Okay, some of you have convinced me that I was not completely right with my last post.  I apologize. The sources should be identified (an easy fix).

However, I still feel these are useable ESL resources, without having to add additional exercises--just looking at the number of downloads confirms this. 

My witch-hunt cartoon still applies: I think that many of us on this site are so hell-bent on following every rule to the letter that we forget to consider the "spirit and intent" of the rule and this site as a whole.  Over 400 downloads of a worksheet indicate that it is an ESL resource that the people of this site want to use.  Why then, should the creator have to add some minor questions to it that will probably be removed or not used anyway? Example:

1. What country does the worksheet talk about?
2. What continent is the country on?
3. What language do they speak there?

By adding these same three questions to each worksheet and identifying the source of the text they magically become "legal". 

I suggest that Milika do just that and re-upload them--they are great resources and it would be a shame to lose them.

Douglas

Edit: I do not feel that Maria was "witch-hunting" when she reported these worksheets, it�s where this went afterwards that I brand as "witch-hunting".  Maria is not one that goes searching for such things, she happened to notice something and did what she felt was correct.

3 Nov 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Douglas if the owner of the worksheet had done as you suggest before uploading, then she would have received nothing but praise and there would be no need to accuse people of witch-hunting (which I find somewhat insulting). Of course it is difficult to know "the spirit and intent" of the rules as we all have our own interpretation. If the rules are followed to begin with then there is no need for these kind of discussions.
Must go. Students are waiting.

3 Nov 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I know that the texts are copies from several websites, but I don �t think we can say that there is no original work. She has presented the facts in a nice layout and chosen pictures to combine with. The original idea of this website (I think), was to present nice worksheets. The texts are almost never ours. If we accept color by numbers worksheets, or flashcards with pictures only, it is very unfair, not to accept this work. Those color by numbers worksheets are normally not the member �s work, but we don �t always have the link. Same thing with the flashcards. What original work does someone do? In my opinion, none. Any time I report one, the answer is: these are 4 flashcards, they must stay. What do you think?

3 Nov 2010     

navarrovizcaino
Spain

In my opinion you are absolutely right!!

3 Nov 2010     

Zora
Canada

Geez, I was able to take a look at the Reporting Section and I have to agree with Lefevre and Douglas - and Philip who has left a few choice comments in the RS.

Tis another sad day in my opinion.

3 Nov 2010     

mariamit
Greece

I �ve just returned home to see the turn this post has taken and I feel even worse. I hardly ever report worksheets. This must be the second or third time in the two years I �ve been a member. Seeing some of the answers to this post I feel as though I �ll be the one to be burnt at the stake. I would, therefore, just like to ask all those who consider reporting a copied worksheet a "witch-hunt" a question: How would you feel giving your students a worksheet without any added task that they had already come across on facebook?  This site has rules. LEt �s all try to stick to those.

3 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi guys,

I really don �t understand what the fuss is. If the texts are copied, they have to go, if the texts aren �t copied, they can stay.

Also, it IS possible to create reading comprehension texts all by oneself, it IS possible to make flashcards that are more than cutting and pasting.

Geez!

3 Nov 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Milka74�s account is gone (deleted by Victor) and that says it all...

There �s no need for such a huge discussion and theatrical statements like "another sad day" IMHO.

I feel really sorry for Maria, who had started the reporting of Milka �s wss. She had just followed the rules of ESLP, but afterwards she got stoned by some of the previous posters! That �s simply not fair.

BTW, I agree with blunderbuster and David!

@Errie

No problem, I don �t feel attacked by you at all, and I also think that Victor has way too much work to do with keeping this website as free of copied contributions as possible. However, I don �t believe that he �ll change anything, because ESLP is "his baby" and I have a strong feeling that he doesn �t want any other cooks to spoil his broth. Wink

3 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

I consider it a VERY sad day. 

We just lost a very good contributor and further frustrated and divided many current users.

I find it hurtful to see someone seemly gloat about such a sad ordeal.

Anyone remember playing word games on the forum with Ivonna & co., just because we were bored?

"Those were the days my friend, I thought they �d never end..."

Douglas

3 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >