Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Worksheets with very poor quality    

Worksheets with very poor quality

s.lefevre
Brazil

Worksheets with very poor quality

Hi everybody

I apologize of starting a very polemic subject here, but I really would like to know your opinion about this matter. Victor said we shouldn �t judge our member �s work and any worksheet are accepted. In the last days, more and more worksheets with 3 questions or one sentence, one picture and a lot of lines have been posted. When reported, many times people say that there is a task that we are not here to judge and so on. Even if the reported worksheet is removed, it isn �t always for the right reason. I think that the member should be informed that his/her worksheet is poor quality, so the next time, the person can do better work. When I first registered, at least 5 members had to accept a worksheet, and many of mine were rejected. As a result, I learnt to make better ones. We have to judge the online exercises, why not the worksheets?

10 Nov 2010      

donapeter
Romania

Sylvia dear,
Everyone who has eyes and , therefore, can see is able to compare his/her wss with the ones already here! When we want to see the new contributions, we can easily see all the wss from that specific day! We scroll down, and up, we compare, we read the titles, the descriptions etc etc.  We download the best "Family" ws from 10 wss on the same topic!! So....we compare. 
You just wanted to be a  diplomat, but we all know people here can see how a good ws looks like and , as they are some University graduates, they can compare and decide what is worth downloading and what not. 
The ones who upload such simple ,useless wss just hope someone would download them and they get some points without any effort. I think it is just laziness. And lack of respect. And, maybe, selfishness. 

At the very beginning of the site, there was that rule of marking wss. I still don �t know if it is a good idea.  

10 Nov 2010     

NanG
Argentina

Dear Sylvia and Donapeter,

I have also thought about what Sylvia is telling us but I totally agree with Donapeter: "The ones who upload such simple ,useless wss just hope someone would download them and they get some points without any effort. I think it is just laziness. And lack of respect. And, maybe, selfishness. "

It �s a pity that this happens almost everyday. I have seen so many things copied from the internet as well!!

I think they do it just to get some points to download the amazing wss of those people who do make an effort, who are also those that make the effort not only to prepare good wss but also to be good teachers.

I think I just needed to say this too...

Have a nice day everyone.

Lots of love.

10 Nov 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

That �s the problem. Those people just want some points without effort. The question is, should they get them? or should we reject them?

10 Nov 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

dear sylvia, i also agree with you that some ws are just a waste of space, considering that some time it is so hard to look among the old contributions because of so many ws. But the problem is that victor set his rules and as long as the ws is not breaking any we cant judge them. victor hasnt explained clearly what should we do with those ws with a line of instructions and half page of lines and although they are usually removed, technically they are not breaking victor �s rule since it is not a copy, and there is a task. I also hate people trying to get access to this wonderful site without any effort, leeching of the teachers who work so hard to improve their classes and sharing their work with us. so i guess that unless victor say something about it, we cant  do anything and we have to follow his rules when reporting and voting.

10 Nov 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi Silvia!

I noticed that we have more than 600 contributions in the recent page today. With so great number I doubt people would spend their time downloading wss that they can easily prepare themselves. The wss you described usually get 0 point (unless someone downloads it to find a way to report), so they �ll be removed after a month.

I mean, we don �t need to take the time to report / judge because they �ll be removed even if we do nothing.

Have a nice day.

10 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Dearest Sylvia

Don �t we reject poorly made worksheets by NOT downloading them?

Hugs L

10 Nov 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

My idea wasn �t to cut off people who upload this kind of worksheets but to tell them that their work was not good enough, so they could think about and send something better the next time. Can a 3 or 4 sentence worksheet be called worksheet? If anything is accepted, people tend to repeat the same thing the next day. Believe me, I have no problems with people getting points, but it would be nice if people improved and made better worksheets every day.

10 Nov 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

People do vote with their feet....in this case with their download finger.

10 Nov 2010     

treasure0911
France

I totally agree with you and I think when you find the WS too poor, then you should send a message instead of a thank you telling the member you think it �s not good enough and could be improved and why not suggesting something.

I did that once and the member took it very well because it was one of the first ws he had uploaded and needed advice.

This site is WONDERFUL and I think it makes us all better teachers as long as we are willing to make efforts.

A nice day to all of you.

10 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

A little while ago I made some suggestions about making old ws available for free, at least partially and to some members. That would not force members that really need our ws to upload at all cost just to be able to get our ws.

I was not heard.

Regards

10 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >