Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can I use a scanned picture from a magazine?    

Can I use a scanned picture from a magazine?

xyra
Spain

Can I use a scanned picture from a magazine?

That �s my question. I �ve scanned some pictures from a magazine I bought, can I use them to make a ws. Thanks a lot.

14 Nov 2010      

Mabdel
Morocco

Hi there.If it �s not an ESl resource. Just go for it.But, let �s wait and confirm it by other colleagues.
wish u all the best. 

14 Nov 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

I �m not sure...magazines always have copyrighted images...there are names of photographers on each picture, so they are the owners of the photos and you will need their permission to use their photos somewhere else, which is quite imposs to get because usually photographers sell their images...
Edit: Another point which should be taken into consideration is if a mag doesn�t have its own photographers, it will use the pictures bought at some popular website which sells pictures of diffrent categories, the pictures are copyrighted and you can use them only if you buy a subscription...subscription is usually very expensive, so I�d recommend to buy a subscription for some good and well known clipart website (will be waaay cheaper than those sites with photographs).

Have a good day!

14 Nov 2010     

cs1980
Portugal

I think that you can �t. It can be copyrighted images, and the size of the document, if you scan a photo will be very big.

14 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

You could credit the magazine for the photo.
We all use photos.

14 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hin Xyra

Do you want my honest answer?

No, you can �t.

It �s time we all step ahead and make something.
We, teachers, know that pictures as well as  texts are not our own creation- almost everytinh is copyrighted, and, my point, yes, it �s fair, - creators should be given their right reward.
On the other hand, what can we, second languages teachers, do without realia?

There is something around, about fair use, without profit, and , seems, we can use texts and images, if, only if, we don �t return profit.

This is someting not very clear.
Even, take note, we have some cases here, even, when we pay for the licences, we discover, later. that, even paying, we are not using the clipart the right way.

Such a big community , like this one, with teachers spread all around the world, my opinion, we could, / should start a big fight as to the use of copyrighted material for education use.
I �ve tried, in my school, and , though I m in charge of the public English webpage, so far, the school hasn �t provided me with any site of clipart. I must do my own work, at my own risk.

This is, for sure a big subject to be discussed here, on this forum. Listen to everyone �s opinion and everyone �s way of jumping out of these problems.

I have jumped out of my own, I payed, not my school, now, I can handle in a more comfortable way, but, even so, not in the most comfortable one.
Waiting for some ideas/opinions.
This is a very dangerous environment for us

Hugs
Linda

14 Nov 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Why don �t you ask the magazine for permission? I don �t know what they �ll you but I �ve had success with newspapers twice in the past years. Just speficy that you �re not making any money out of it and it �s for pedagogical purposes.

14 Nov 2010     

crisholm
Spain

I agree with Libertybelle: we all use photographs and it �s obvious we haven �t been everywhere. After all, you are not making money out of it, which would be a very different matter. Giving credit is appropriate, though.

14 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Manon

So happy to see you around here, missing you.
Yes, you are right, your suggestion is a good one.
But then..? then, what ?
Shall we start asking for permission any time we want a picturre, a photo, a piece of text ?

Why, ?
Are we, teachers, second level professionals?
Why, why don �t we have, in each of our own countries ( an may be this is not enough ) specific rules to deal with copyright for education?

If we want to use a poem, a text from a writer.... do you ask for permission, in advance?

Is it necessary? or, just because we are using the text for education purposes, everyone assumes that..... there isn �t any copyright?
And what if I use a photo? There may be a copyright , why?

This is what I would like to be discussed here.

If I want to COPY something, obviously I can- as long as I don �t dare to upload it and, EVEN so there may be some possibilities of managing to pass between the rain drops.

See what I mean, Manon? Not solving this little problem here, but trying to go further and solve all all copyright problems. We can �t make everything from scratch, ther is always some copy ( well, many times )

BIG; HUGE kisss to you MAnon
Linda

14 Nov 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi Linda

Doing well thank you!

When I use stuff in my classroom, no, I don �t really ask permission but when I post it on this site or my provincial association website, yes I do.  So, the few times I �ve had to use an newspaper article, I did ask permission for the use of it.  Personally, if I am not legit, I will not publish on this site. 

It �s funny how people go to war when someone steals someone else �s work from this site. Why would it be different from a photo in a magazine? Does respect have different levels of uses?

14 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

We �re English teachers - not artists!
We only use photos, images and clip art to help
our students learn English. 
As Chrisholm said - we �re not earning money by making worksheets.

Images just make learning (and teaching) easier.
Just give credit where credit is due.

14 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >