Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day - 11/15/2010    

Word of the Day - 11/15/2010

gabitza
Romania

Word of the Day - 11/15/2010

Thanks Moodymoody for choosing me.

Today �s word is

zenzizenzizenzic

Be creative! Make up your own definition for it. Anyone can join in! It �s free!!!! The winner will be announced tomorrow evening.

Good luck,

15 Nov 2010      

elderberrywine
Germany

You know the way we all have passwords all over the internet? I have great trouble remembering mine although I tried to limit them to three or four different ones.

So I �m forever forced to apply for new passwords when trying to order something somewhere and fighting with diverse mail accounts to get them.

One night I had gone through them all, could remember none and was beyond myself with fatigue and anger. Life just didn �t make sense any more.

Sense? Was there a password including "sense"? I was sure there was.
Not remembering exactly what it was I murmured "sense-sense-sense" to myself Slowly my eyelids began to close, my chin neared the keyboard, my pronunciation became less distinct as sleep entered my brains. That �s where memory begins to fail me.

My children claimed that the next morning they found me fast asleep in front of the computer murmuring

zenzizenzizenzic

and that only after three cups of strong coffee did they manage to make me talk sense again.

Ever since, this word zenzizenzizenzic has expressed a notion of confusion, fatigue, inability to remember  and dizziness in my family and I have no idea how gabitza came to know about it.

I thought this was one of our special family words.... known to nobody outside the family ... but there you are ...

15 Nov 2010     

Jazuna
Czech Republic

It is the famous pub in the old part in the Zanzibar CityTongue.
Seriously, I have no idea ...... perhaps a word used in science.

15 Nov 2010     

juliag
Japan

It is the chant Zen Buddhists use to aid their meditation, "zenzizenzizenzizenzi..." The "zic" is caused by a sharp inhalation when one of said Zen Buddhists achieves Satori and makes an involuntary gasp or when one of said Zen Buddhists gets the hiccups during meditation.

15 Nov 2010     

LeaS
Slovenia

a rare plant, said to induce euphoria only in A2 level English learner and making them spontaneusly recite irregular verbs backwards.

For all others it induces straggling walk and outbursts of the Lumberjack Song, ending in "zenzic! p �kow!" screamed over and over again.

15 Nov 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Julia came close, but the word really means "A Buddist priest who stutters".

I �m off to meditate on the deeper meaning of the word.

15 Nov 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

You should devise some therapy for him instead, David!! 

15 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

the act of falling asleep while meditaing...that �s why all the zzzzzzs

15 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

What happens to monks when they try to meditate while at sea:

Zen sea, (as the ship goes up a wave)
Zen sea, (as the ship comes back down the wave)
Zen sick (when the monk turns blue-green-pale all at once and empties his stomach onto the deck)

Douglas

15 Nov 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

LOL hilarious douglas

15 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Old Zazou lingo for three times as cool.

15 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >