Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your advice    

I need your advice

_babz
Canada

I need your advice

Hi everybody,

I need your advice....

there �s this teacher at my school, and every time he sees my classroom door open, he �ll enter..

at first, he would just pass next to the door, and say a �hello � to the students (never looking at me,...we are not close colleagues)....he would say hello to his students...and act as I was not there...

second......he started to enter the class....while my kids had English....he would come in...and talk to them while they worked alone OR in pairs....

third,.....this was the last straw.....during oral presentations....my door was closed!...he just opened it....entered....took a document from some student....made small chat....and left

in all 3 situations...he never signaled me...to get my permission....nor did he ever talk to me.....

now,...I haven �t confronted the person...cause Im afraid of looking like the �bad guy �......but in the past...I have confronted this teacher...for talking bad about me...with students....

so do I

a- confront
b- see our superior
c- or continue to block my door window and lock my door.....which is written..do not disturb

ps: he might mean well.....but since it �s been happening so frequently lately,,,..i �m starting to think that he is doing it on purpose....

thanks for the advice!

16 Nov 2010      

blizzard1
Denmark

Dear Babz,

I�m sorry to hear about the problem you�re having with your colleague.

He should know better than interrupting a class constantly.

I think you should do 2 things:

1. Continue blocking your door window and locking the door.

2. You should confront him in a polite way. If he continues disturbing your class then you should talk to a superior.

I hope you can solve this problem without him becoming nasty.

Hugs and good luck

Elizabeth

16 Nov 2010     

donapeter
Romania

pay him back! Or what...is his door blocked? If yes, I would kick that door down and then, smiling, I would kindly ask his students if they are ok, if the class is working, if the weather seems to be great...small talk. Then I would say: SOrry for this sudden interruption, and I would smile to him. 

So, seriously, do him the same! See if he still stinks it �s helpful to do that! 

16 Nov 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

Hi
Staff rooms are often full of unresolved conflict often because either people are agressive in their response or avoid conflict altogether.  It is important that you do not continue to ignore this until you are ready to explode or deal with it in a confronational manner.  You are in charge of your classroom - your learning ethos and behavioural ethos.  That is part of your duty as a teacher.
I would not allow him ever to come into your room without talking to him.  If he is not going to take the first step to be polite and acknowledge you, then you must be assertive, but not agressive, and set the standard you wish for your room.  Whenever he enters, stop what you are doing (even if it is not convenient) and say, "Good morning Mr ??  What can we do for you today?"  If he is vague in his answer say, "Please come back later.  At the moment we are in the midst of an important train of thought but we would be glad to speak to you at another time."  Hold the door open for him.
You must convey the authority that you have in your own classroom.  The students will respect you better for it in the long run and you will also be teaching them an important lesson.  In teaching as in life it is best to be assertive without agression.
If that fails, then a word with management might help.  They can then make a general statement on classroom etiquet and if he continues to break the school etiquet rules, then you have grounds to put in a complaint.  Try to avoid a confrontation.  You have to work with the guy every working day.  Learn to fight the fights that need to be fought and rise above the rest.
As we near the end of the year, we are all becoming increasingly tired and iritable.  Stick in there.  You can sort him out and learn a lot about yourself in the process!
PS
Good for you for teaching with your door open.  That shows a teacher who is secure in what he/she is doing.

16 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

Bring it up with him in a conversational way and tell him you would prefer he didn �t interupt your class while you are teaching.  This way if he does it again, he knows that he is spiting you and you have grounds to take to a higher level.

To stop a behavior you always have to identify the unwanted behavior to the person as the first step.

Douglas

16 Nov 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I have to agree with donapeter! Something similar has happened to me but with a counselor and she would do the same even after talking to her, saying it was harmless and she was just being nice with the kids. So I told her it was ok to be nice, but be nice some place else, not my class. She didn �t do it for  a week and then started again. So I decided to do the same to her. I did it three times only and she came to me complaining! That �s when we could finally understand each other and it all stopped.  I would definitely "follow her example" but only when you see that talking to her in a serious, adult manner doesn �t work. Good luck, babz!

16 Nov 2010     

appleaday
Canada

I am sorry that this is happening to you. You would think that a person educating our children would be wiser. But, don �t worry my friend there are things you can do. But, it would be wise to have a witness you trust and keep a diary and collect proof. It is not the incident that matters for the administration it is how frequent it happens. In todays day and age you can always use one of those spy pens you can find on the internet. They are well worth it. You got to be careful with these people, see if they have close relationships with the administration. This way you can plan your response in a smarter way.

Unfortunately abusers love giving out double messages. One moment they act like they are good people then they show their evil sides. Don �t let this fool you, abusers like being seen as a good guy by other people, so they will and are acting this way. By being nice to you from time to time they get the upper hand by confusing you and therefore weakening you.

Here are a few articles which you should read:

http://www.teachersatrisk.com/2008/04/22/what-to-do-to-stop-teachers-bullying-other-teachers/

http://www.oprah.com/health/Workplace-Bullying-Linked-with-Lack-of-Sleep/1

http://careerplanning.about.com/od/bosscoworkers/a/bullies_at_work.htm

I hope that helps. Keep us posted. My prayers are yours.

Lots of love.

16 Nov 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

It �s plain ordinary bad manners and the teacher concerned is totally in the wrong.
However I suspect that a person rude enough to do that would not react well to any subtle suggestions. Your complaint may have to go to a higher authority.
Good luck and if all else fails perhaps a "taser gun �  is in order! (I am joking, all you serious people!)
Cheers Joy

16 Nov 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I would definitely ask him to stop myself in a nice polite and direct way. Then if he continues, I �d take it to my superior.
If it was the other way around, I would not like someone to take something to my superior if it had not been discussed with me before.

16 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

I think we would all like to do what donapeter says but that might just escalate the problem. And what if he then reports you? You �ll have to come back with the very juvenile"Well he started it". The word confrontation has a negative conotation. How about have a discussion with him. Tell him how you feel but do not threaten. If you threaten there might be retaliation. If he does not change his behavior then tell your superiors and tell them that you asked politely and he refused and is interrupting your instruction.

16 Nov 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

Nombasa for me is the option I would take. Terrific advice!
Every time he enters the room make a point to go over and speak to him. Ask him how you can help and if he needs anything :-)
(If he knows you are going to talk to him every time he comes in maybe he will stop- as you did say you two were not overly friendly....)

After a few seconds small talk, say something like, well we are really busy so we must get back to it!

:-)

16 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >