Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Looking for French frog ´ s site    

Looking for French frog ´ s site

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

This is sad, she definitely had reasons to stop being an active member of the site...no matter what made her do that - she is a very talented person and her work has been useful for many people from all over the world. It �s a loss for the website Unhappy

Sending you a hug, Laurence Hug

20 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Hey, do you think it would be OK if I bookmarked Frenchie �s blog and website in the Bookmarks section? Her work is too good to be missed!

20 Nov 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

sure, why not?

20 Nov 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

I don �t know why she �left � but I wish she hadn �t, rare talent as the volume of traffic to her blog clearly shows.
Nor will I pretend to know anything about the politics of this site, or even if they had anything to do with her decision to withdraw her worksheets, but I would like to say that it is a crying shame that such a creative member should feel the need to take such drastic action.
This virtual world of ours resembles real life in more ways than one, and taking people for granted is as much a part of this site as it is out there in the big bad world. Usually, when you are good at something and are a prolific contributor to the greater good you tend to get some sort of recognition or reward for your efforts but on this site it seems that you can create the greatest ws, the most helpful and enlightning tutorials and when you take the decision to leave and most people don �t even notice you �re gone until someone points it out in the forum.
I am not suggesting for one minute that Victor start paying people but there might be room to have a �roll of honour �  for the most prolific and long established contributors whose work gets downloaded by the truck full and have by that definition helped hundreds, if not thousands of people. Some little space on the site where their efforts could be given the recognition they so richly deserve. I � m not saying that would solve every problem but it may well make the best members feel valued and  appreciated and therefore have them stick around... Hopefully...
Just my 20 zloty(sorry Zailda)
Boy can I waffle.... Sorry for the length....

20 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Well, you know, "do not advertise" and the like...But, then again, Frenchie �s work is no longer on ESLP (except for the tutorials, of course), so no-one can call it advertising...
Cool! I �m bookmarking them right away!Big smile

Edit: Frank, just saw your post. I agree with your idea about a "roll of honour"
...And you can "waffle" all you want...After all, you�re also a poet, right? Poets do that all the timeSmile

See you tomorrow, everyone! Got to go get ready...It�s Saturday night!

20 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Frank, and everyone else,

I believe that leaving sincere comments thanking the uploader whenever you download something actually serves the function you mention. If you upload a worksheet and you see hundreds of thank you notes the next day, that is a real kick. When you upload something, hundreds take but only a handful bothers to leave a note, that �s painful....

20 Nov 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Marion, your point about the thank you comments is taken.
I also think it �s a shame when a ws has fifty downloads and only two or three people bothered to post a comment.
My suggestion about a �Roll of Honour � is an aside from that though. This would be a section of the site , like the birthday box or the cafe where the avatar and point amount of the most prolific members could be posted with a short message of thanks for their work and/or encouragement to continue being a valued member of the site. It would only be applicable to members with over... say 10,000 points or so and it would give others an incentive to go on producing and become a member of the elite wall.
Of course there is the downside and that is that it would be a perfect advert for the work stealers about whose work they should stealWacko
This recognition would be from the management of the site and moderators in the first instance and it could also be open to ordinary downladers who would have another chance to thank the creator, not that many do of course.

20 Nov 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

Thank you all for your help and clarifications!!!
@ FrankThumbs Up I do totally support your suggestions.

20 Nov 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Well, I�m sad because Frenchie finally did what she told us she would do, but no one opposed to it. According to her, she was going to delete her worksheets little by little and � as we call it in Brazil when a person leaves a place or party without being noticed � leaving in a French way.

The last time we were in contact by PM was because of some of her wss (some mine too) uploaded by a member in other site and she asked me for help because the member is from Brazil. So I�d like to add some reasons for great members� leaving the site:

They do share they work HERE but it�s disturbing when someone takes their work as theirs and republishes it.

As I was told yesterday, the excuse: �when sharing, everyone is taking the risk of being copied� is unacceptable; just because I know the risk of walking on the street at night I won�t accept a stickup as natural or �part of the process�.

The more you share, the more people take it for granted. When you reach a certain number of downloads and you make a mistake, there�s always someone to point fingers and ask: �how could YOU do it?� as if reaching a certain number of points we become perfect, angels or the like.

Some ask for help many times; many times I see great contributors helping other members with minor issues (how to find pictures, how to correct a sentence, and so on � things they could have done themselves, if they had used all the features the site provides). They do it as much as they can, but when they have a problem (stolen ws or the like), most of the ones they helped and are �deeply grateful� (judging from their words, not for their actions) simply ignore. They are sleeping or working, I suppose.

All the members deserve the same treatment and the same support from others; it�s not nice when �the greatest� are left alone to do what they can themselves. When a person has a problem, it�s usual that his problem is not what some would rather see in the forum (should we create another �teachers� caf� in the forum?), some issues may not contribute to the �site atmosphere�, but are we robots programmed only to say and show good and amusing things, sweeping the bad and �not so nice� under the rug?

So it�s not a matter of �saying thank you�, people do SAY they are grateful, but what most of �the greatest� receive from their hard work and numerous contributions are: copies and more copies around the web and reporting out of jealousy.

Some simply got tired of it and left. Too bad for us�

EDIT: If you want to see me using less words, follow me: http://twitter.com/zailda

20 Nov 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Frank I �ll put you in for the Poetry roll of honour!!Smile
Laurence( In French, sorry Marion, it is only a girl �s nameSmile), as I know her is an incredibly generous person right in the heart! what she doesn �t like is people helping themselves and not saying �thank you � ! It makes her mad and I can understand considering the amazing work she produces! She is a totally dedicated, clever and generous person and teacher!However I don �t think a �roll of honour � would make her change her mind. To tell you the truth, she simply wouldn �t �give a dCensoredEmbarrassed
I once publicly and spontaneously congratulated her for her work and wonderful attitude, on this forum http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4492
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=13818

like I did PHILIPR some other time  but then I got severely reprimanded for doing so !and the whole discussion got out of hands
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=15759

I shall carry on following what my heart says and congratulate the members I want to thank and congratulate for the great help they give to this community!
A thread like today �s will be a balm to Laurence �s heart, that �s for sure but I guess it won �t be enough for healing all the hurt feelings she has because of ungrateful members and the turn the forum  sometimes takes and maybe the hypocrasy of some others.
So Frank, think a minute! Smile
Do you think these high flyers need to be incensed? From what I understand from these two people, their main driver in their lives is their intelligence and their generosity!

And to finish, dear Frank, will you put me on the roll of honour , next to you!for waffling as much as you do!LOL

20 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >