Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What nationality is a person from UK?    

What nationality is a person from UK?

catiahenriques
Portugal

What nationality is a person from UK?

Hi. I �ve got a doubt.
A person from UK is British or English?
Can we use both?
Thanks.
Have a nice weekend.
C�tia

20 Nov 2010      

alimoreno
United Kingdom

A person from the UK is British. Within the UK, we have England and a person from England is English. Other parts of the UK are Scotland, Wales and Nothern Ireland. I hope that helps.

20 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello Catiahenriques,

I am "A United Kingdom Citizen", or "British" --- NOT "English!"

England is only one-quarter part of The United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

When someone says: "I am English!" they are stressing in which part of the United Kingdom they were born.

I was born in England so I am "British:English".  My mother was born in Scotland, so she is "British:Scottish".

Others describe themselves as "British:Welsh" or "British:Irish"

Many Scots, Welsh, and Irish are insulted to be described as "English".

Les

20 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Les

�ve just read your answer and, if you have the time, I �d like an explanation on what you have just written.

This :

Many Scots, Welsh, and Irish are insulted to be described as "English".

What do you mean?
1. Scots, Welsh and Irish feel insulted when they are said to be English?

2. Scots,Wels and Irish are insulted when they pretend to be English?

Don �t want to be rude, just trying to understand how people handle this relationship; I know Northern Ireland is somehow difficult, ( political/ religious issues ) Scottish bagpippers are a must, Scotland is a land in my list to do, Wales, for me, is somehow, not so well know, I can say I don �t know much about Wales, and, well, England takes the name for all.

I think the first reading is the correct one, but, some now and then we are SO SURE and things turn out so differently...

Well, if you see this post and have the time, I �d like to know a little more about.

Thnks
Linda

20 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, Les, it �s a bit like saying everyone from the Iberian Peninsula is Spanish.

20 Nov 2010     

Apodo
Australia

England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland are different countries within the United Kingdom. England isn �t the name for all.

Think of the European Union: all are European, but still retain their individual nationalities. (I know this is different because it isn �t one country)

The United Kingdom is one country, with all being British - but people still have individual �nationalties � of which many are fiercely proud. There is quite a move to revive/retain the old languages eg: Welsh

20 Nov 2010     

sanchezos
Serbia

Hm, this can be an issue of education systems! In my country (Serbia), Geography is studied in the way it should be studied- students are given many important facts and items that can be useful for their (cultural) lives. Therefore, I would never have any doubts about the parts that the UK consists of... or about the Yangtze River... or something like that. Many people consider those information useless and unnecessary, but, as you can see, they ARE useful for me. Smile
Anyway, if you feel you need an extra information for yourselves or for your students, I think lesson planning will help. And the internet, of course  Smile

Have a nice Sunday! Star

21 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

hello, again

Sometimes it turns out a bit difficult to communicate in a forum.

I �m not sure if Almaz, Apodo and Sanchezos are answering to the very first question or, to me.

I know quite well what UK is - Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England...........

And, in the same other island the Republic of Ireland, and....the Ulster and.. all those dramatic relious problems and and and..

Yes, Almaz, The Peninsula STILL has TWO countries. By the way, do you know Portugal is the oldest country in Europe? May be that �s the reason we need to retire . Confused

Now, my question was only to Les, because only Les can explain what I asked him. Obviously, anyone of us can have an opinion, but that was not what I was asking. I wanted to "talk" with Less and know what was his intention, what, exactly, he meant?

Anyway, thank you all; I know a little of geography and my students, ( 9/10/11 ) know perfectly well the difference between the UK and England.

21 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Linda,

Your first comment is correct.  "Scots, Welsh and Irish feel insulted when they are said to be English?"
You are from Portugal.  It is as Almaz says.  If we were in a restaurant in the UK, and I  didn �t know anything about language, or European geography, (but you were dancing the Tango), I might say to my friend: "Oh, this is Linda.  She is Spanish!" (because, in my stupid mind, everybody who dances the Tango is Spanish).

I think that it is probable that you would say: "Excuse me, I �m Portuguese!"  You say so, because you are proud of the land of your birth. 

Similarly, many Scots, Welsh and Irish people are fiercely proud of the land of their birth, and are quick to remind anyone who makes a mistake, that they are NOT English.
However, this is not to say that the 4 nationalities are enemies --- we are not --- we are the best of friends!  But you will notice that there are 4 British Football Teams, not 1, and the rivalry between them is enormous!

Each of the 4 countries has it �s own flag, (which combine together to make the United Kingdom "Union Flag"; each has it �s own language; Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland each has a separate �Parliament � which is answerable to the Parliament in London; each country can issue it �s own currency; and all four countries have a capital city - London, Edinburgh, Cardiff, and Belfast.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Les 

21 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Damn, Linda, and there was I thinking that the Iberian Peninsula formally consisted of at least five different countries/political entities (Portugal, Spain, Andorra, parts of France, Gibraltar - not to mention autonomous regions like Euskadi and Catalonia). Back to school for me, obviously. 

Also - Thank you, I didn �t know Portugal was the oldest country in Europe.

21 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Les

Thanks a bunch for answering - now, let me tell you, you made me laugh. Portuguese people dont dance Tango, nor Spanish people do , LOL . TANGO is from Argentina, the land of Evita and Peron. We , Portuguese dance some folk dances, none of it has achieved the same fame as Flamengo, the Spanish / gipsy dance. Our trade mark is FADO - a unique kind of song and lyrics. Well, this apart, again, thanks for your answer

Yes, I know that Union Jack is a country flag, all the countries are unified and all respect each one. , I understand a Scottish doesn �t want to be called English, but, well, well, well, that is not so serious as when you call me, a PORTUGUESE, a Spanish.

Thanks Les, I like to know more and more about this issues, this helps me to understand relationship among we all, around here I am always a little afraid of being rude and writing something that may be misunderstood.

Don �t forget, Portugal is Fado - I can send you some links, it �s a deeply nostalgic ( ??? ) song, it �s our soul.

Thanks Les
Linda

21 Nov 2010     

1    2    3    Next >