Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day 21.11.10    

Word of the day 21.11.10

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Have you invented the word or shoul I say coined?
Sophia

21 Nov 2010     

crisholm
Spain

That �s against the rules, I �m afraid!
Anyway, the point is looking at the word closely and letting your imagination fly!
What do you associate it with?

21 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Screelpoker

I come from Tyneside, where the locals speak �Geordie �, which is a direct descendant of the Nordic language, and is strongly influenced by Greek.
There is an expression, "To cowp yer creels", which is what Geordie children do when they roll down a hillside, head-over-heels, turning somersaults.  (I do not recommend this for adults, especially if your pockets are full of eggs).

When the children reach the bottom of the hill, everyone shouts "Endaksi", which means "OK".  (Greek Members of ESLP will be able to confirm that every word of this narrative is true).

The Geordie children �s game is a direct derivation of the original Olympic sport, "Screelcowping", introduced in Greece in 1182.  In this, the athlete must roll UP A HILLSIDE, fighting against gravity, and simultaneously, turning somersaults, heels-over-head.

"Screel" is, quite obviously, "Creels", backwards.

Undoubtedly, this is an extremely tiring activity, and can not normally be accomplished without a healthy diet, a strong physique, and a sharp poke up the bum!
For this reason, European Union Regulations for the sport have been modified.
To aid movement, and to encourage enthusiasm in the athlete, an assistant is permitted who carries a sharpened oak stake, (manufactured to strict EU dimensions), and who pokes the athlete in the appropriate part of the anatomy, at 10-second intervals, (timed with a stop-watch).

The athlete is described as a "Screelcowper", and the assistant is the "Screelpoker". 

22 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

okay, first of all screel backwards is leercs, not creels. Secondly, do you know how long it took me to find the actual meaning of screel? A full day �s work!

22 Nov 2010     

crisholm
Spain

Actually I was thinking of having a session of breast screeling.

22 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

I think Fay Wray was a screeler

22 Nov 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

I don �t know where you got those wrong assuptions. As far as I know Screelpoker is a very rare creature found in the ponds and rivers. And yes, he pokes. :-)
He �s usually greenish colour, wearing a wet jacket and colourful hat. Sometimes he sits on a willow nearby the river/pond and smokes his pipe. There is a German name for this creature: Wasserman. In English it is called a "water sprite".
Some watersprites are nice old creatures, some are quite evil. They drown girls and take them to their water homes. There they have the spirits of drowned people in the ceramic pots.

No giggling! It has nothing to do with the drink Sprite!

22 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Nice try people...but the answer is a lot simpler than you think. Joseph Screel was the top American competitor in, that �s correct, poker for many years.  In honor of his many championship wins, a new type of poker called screelpoker was devised where the players, instead of flicking their cards on the table, scream for their next hit in honor of the way Joseph would ask for his next set of cards. Unbeknownst to anyone, Joseph didn �t yell for his cards because he was excited or enthisiastic but had actually lost 90% of his hearing both ears.  

22 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

Screelpoker was the forerunner to the arcade game Centipede.  The idea behind Screelpoker was to poke the screen eel with your finger as it squirmed around the video screen. The faster players poked the eels, the more points they got. 

Unfortunately for the founder, touch screens had not yet been invented.  So players would jam their fingers into the screen until they broke them (fingers and screens).  Once they realized that it was virtually (pun intended) impossible to score any points the game was pushed into oblivion and Centipede was developed.

Douglas 

22 Nov 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

The throwing stick or throwing club is one of the first weapons used by early humans and cultures all around the world. In essence, it is a short wooden club thrown as a projectile to hunt small game such as rabbits or hair. In flight, it rotates rapidly cracking the target with one of the ends and either maiming or killing it.
Although returning boomerangs are found in many cultures and will return to the user if thrown properly. the choice weapon of most cultures was the heavy non-returning boomerang that could also be wielded as a club or knife for attacking.
Survival tool
As a survival tool, the throwing stick is one of the most effective and easiest tools to obtain. Other than a weapon, it can also be used as a digging tool for making fire-pits and underground shelter. A curved limb will suffice as a throwing stick. Ancient throwing sticks were believed to be made of hardwood with a weighted or curved end to one side to impart momentum so the stick stays straight and does not wobble in mid-flight. The bobble end was also used for resting your behind on while waiting for action.

Now as a young boy living and growing up in the countryside I would at summer times have plenty of time off school and would go out rabbit hunting with ten or more maybe up to forty school friends.
We would go to the fields that are being cut for harvesting and walk alongside the combine harvester waiting for the rabbit or hair to come running out and we would give chase and throw the club at the back feet making the rabbit screel out and then we would poke its neck to finish it off.
Sadly this rabbit hunting and other things that i did many years ago as a child or young boy Is a dying trade or doesn�t happen anymore :(

So you see my friends ��SCREELPOKER�� =

Is a nickname for going rabbit hunting or rabbit hunter!

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOW Wink.

22 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >