Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day 21.11.10    

Word of the day 21.11.10

crisholm
Spain

Well, dear friends, the time has come. I loved Ldthemagicman �s, Edromedina �s and Redbull �s lengthy arguments, but I got caught by Magneto �s simplicity.
Marion �s warnings are to be taken into account.
Some explanations are a bit lurid - all that apparently innocent hunting...
In the end, I must choose Moravc �s non-manicheistic definition, as it allows for both nice and evil creatures (allowing for those jars that remind us of Elinor Rigby!). Hug
By the way, SCREELPOKE, according to  Jeffrey Kacirk �s �Forgotten English Calendar �, is �a name bestowed on a crying child; from �screed �, to cry in a shrieking manner.
So many of you were close enough, at least in what sound effects are concerned.
The calendar mentions Dvorak �s unique symphonic poem, �The Noonday Witch �, who would snap up the crying child if it didn �t behave (I do not know why it is mentioned in the calendar, because after all it must have been in Czech and the word is Mid-Yorkshire dialect).
I �ve googled it and, to my surprise, it also means � A person who writes begging letters asking for money, using a different name or personality for each like Thernardier in the novel Les Mis�rables. �
There �s even a blog with links under the name!
Thanks to all of you and keep playing!
Hugs!

22 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3