Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English for a tango dancer... I need some help!    

English for a tango dancer... I need some help!

Roclam
Italy

English for a tango dancer... I need some help!

Dear colleagues,
one of my students is a professional tango dancer. She will have to give classes in English soon and I �m trying to help her (since I dance the tango , too!).

She needs to know if there is a definition for the leg where yor weight is. I mean, when there is a weight shift from one leg to the other, what do you call the leg that carries the whole body weight?
 She used to be a ballet dancer, and she told me that in Italian there is a technical definition for this (gamba di terra... sort of "ground leg").

I know this is very unusual...but maybe there are English teachers who used to be ballet dancers... ;-)

Thank you for your help!!

24 Nov 2010      

juliag
Japan

Hi!

The tango sounds fun! Enjoy your classes.
I �m not a dancer at all but I �m pretty sure you can say "Put your weight on your right leg" and "Shift your weight to your left leg" and so on.

Hope it helps and have a nice day
Julia

24 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

Working leg: a term used by dancers and teachers to denote the leg that is executing a given movement while the weight of the body is on the supporting leg.

According to the American Ballet Theater I think you are looking for:  Supporting Leg.

Douglas

24 Nov 2010     

Roclam
Italy

Thank you so much to both of you  !
Douglas, it was exactly what I needed!

24 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Roclam,

The phrase that I have used in the United Kingdom is �the supporting leg � (the leg that supports the body); or �the weighted leg � (the leg that takes the weight of the body) = �la gamba di terra �.

The other leg is �the free leg � because it is �free to move �.

Julia is perfectly correct. "Put your weight on your left leg, and then shift your weight to your right leg" OR "Transfer your weight to your right leg" OR "Move your weight to your right leg".

Other dancers may have used different phrases.  This is what I used to say.

I hope that this helps you.

Good luck!

In bocca lupo!

Les

24 Nov 2010