Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Christmas vocab: bauble - bulb    

Christmas vocab: bauble - bulb

blunderbuster
Germany

Christmas vocab: bauble - bulb

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a difference between a Christmas bulb and a Christmas bauble. Several dictionaries that I checked tell me that there is, so do ebay.com �s product listings. Googling for Christmas bulbs shows pictures of baubles as well. I am confused, please clarify, if you can.

Regards

6 Dec 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi ReGiNa !  I �ve heard bauble is a british term ... am I right? That �d be the only difference, I guess ... Let �s see what others have to say ...

6 Dec 2010     

gofish343
Ukraine

Hello!  (Christmas) bauble is the British term for a colored ball used to decorate a Christmas tree (American English = Christmas ornament).

A bulb is the glass and wire part of a light or lamp.  A Christmas bulb is one of the small, usually colored lights on a string of Christmas lights.

In America, we say Christmas ornaments and a string of Christmas lights, avoiding both terms unless we need to "replace or change a bulb" on the string of lights. =)

6 Dec 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi gofish, that was just the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you. I learnt the term "bauble" here on ESLprintables, I lived in the States for three years, Christmas ornament was what I knew. On ebay America they are selling Christmas baubles though, that surprised me when I saw it.

Warm regards to cold Ukraine

;o)

6 Dec 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

You �re welcome! ;-)

6 Dec 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hug Especially and exclusively for you, Alicia. 

6 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I would also say that a bulb in the US is often electricor a bauble with an electric light in it - and a bauble is a glass bulb with no lights in them.

The dictionary says: A small, showy ornament of little value; a trinket.

I �ve often heard rich people say how they love their little baubles - when mentioning their expensive diamonds!! (meant ironically - of course)

6 Dec 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I thought you �d forgotten me!! I knew it couldn �t be so ... even if my answer wasn �t all that clear ! Hug  - I �ve learnt, too! Thanks, LB and gofish!

6 Dec 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Christmas balls is also used for baubles.

6 Dec 2010     

douglas
United States

A christmas bulb can also refer to the round, glass, ball-shaped ornaments that are hung on the tree (not electrical).  Ornaments are all the little baubles (Liberty �s definition) that are hung on the tree--not just the glass balls.   <<US English>>

6 Dec 2010     

silvanija
Lithuania

I had the same question last year Big smileLOL

6 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >