Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Funny Sayings ...    

Funny Sayings ...

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Sorry about the spelling mistake "mouth"

13 Dec 2010     

Stellam
Argentina

Ha Ha! Anna!  Big smile That �s exactly the same saying! And how would you translate it into English?  Maybe : "Don �t be misled by appearances: no piggie nose is an electrical socket".
What do you think?

13 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

LOOLOL Stella - In English, it would be... "Don�t mistake a pig�s snout for a light socket!

13 Dec 2010     

Stellam
Argentina

Hi @Zora! We were posting at the same time.

That �s a great translation. Thank you! Thumbs Up

Stella

13 Dec 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

WOW! ImpressiveSmile
Here are my "five copecks": about leaving an open door do you live in a bus/trolleybus? 
Here �s the one from my teens if you �re watching TV and someone would stand between you and the screen you would say is your dad a glass maker? (I hope you won �t find it too rude)
2 AnnaP: I could relate to that, but my mom would say that the cooker was the face of the mistress/hostess (not sure which one to use) of the house, so it should be kept cleanSmile
Sophia

13 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

@ uelsteacher Five kopeks??? But last week you gave me 6.   (sorry my line from Fiddler on the Roof when I was in Middle School).

13 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

These are all funny sayings for those  that aren �t too bright. Not the sharpest tool in the shed..The lights on but nobody �s home. A sandwich short of a picnic. A can short of a six pack. As sharp as a bowling ball. The elevator doesn �t go all the way to the top.

13 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

How about... "If it were anymore obvious, it would jump out and say "boo! �"...Tongue

13 Dec 2010     

chrissmolder
Australia

What a fun thread!  Because it �s the holiday season this has reminded me of this from �A Christmas Carol �:

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge�s name was good upon �Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.

Mind! I don�t mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country�s done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail.

I love it.

13 Dec 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Wow, thank you so much for sharing those interesting and funny sayings!!
Here is what we say here if you leave the door open �were you born in an elevator? �

Wink

13 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >