Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Funny Sayings ...    

Funny Sayings ...

viccxx
Greece

Here in Greece when you leave the door open we ask "were you born in a stable?" or "did your house have a rug hanging for a door?"

The funny thing about our prverbs is ow many of them have the name John in them. the other day we were counting with a friend and came up with more than 10 with John. I guess it �s a very common name here...One of my favourites is when someone is complaining of the same thing all the time and we say  " what �s wrong with John and again he can �t? his arse is hurting..."

13 Dec 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

My Dad had some that used to make me laugh.
If I stood in front of something such as the TV he would say, "You �d make a better door than a window."
Another was "your promises are like piecrust, meant to be broken" when he didn �t believe me.
He also used to say that something "was as slow as a wet week in China" I never understood that one.
When I was looking for something he would say "it �s in the last place you look" Duh!
"A closed mouth collects no foot" means if you keep your mouth closed you won �t put your foot in it (ie not make a faux pas)
When your feet are hurting we say "My dogs are barking"
When you have a sore throat you have "a frog in your throat."
My favourite is one I saw in Los Angeles airport:
"For every door that close another door opens but I hate the corridors in between."
I could go on for ever.
Cheers Joy

14 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4