Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!! Please!!!--------international organizations!    

Help!! Please!!!--------international organizations!

maggy69
Portugal

Help!! Please!!!--------international organizations!

I was unemployed but hopefully I�m starting a new Job tomorrow!

But it�s something completely new. I�m going to give classes to adults (forma��o) and the topic is socio-cultural and it is called: organizing a presentation about international institutions or organizations!

I�m really unprepared and I will be with the same class tomorrow all day long (7 hours)!

So I�m desperate!!!!!!!!

Please could someone help in anyway? Thanks!

Hugs,

Maggy

14 Dec 2010      

Errie
Japan

You have to teach about international institutions or organizations for how many hours?? They didn �t gave you time to prepare anything?. I wish you luck!!

Maybe this is useful?

I�ve also send a pm.

14 Dec 2010     

silvanadelval
Argentina

Hi Maggy69! I imagine how nervous you must feel! But don �t panic! Take a deep breath and embrace this new challenge!

Taking into consideration you �re so short of time, this is how I would go about it:

1.- I �d introduce myself and the course material

2.- I �d give them a thought-provoking questionnaire (some of the questions could be along these lines, for example: What would you say your greatest achievement has been so far? Who is the person you most admire? Why?, What is your idea of happiness? What proverb would you choose as a motto for your life? If reincarnation existed, what/who would you like to reincarnate in? Do you have any regret? What do you wish you had know when you were younger?) for students to discuss in pairs. I �d give them some time to do so and then I �d ask each student to share with the rest of the class the answers that called their attention most or got them thinking. While they do so, I �d jot down their mistakes so as to be able to assess their level in order to know where to start from.

3.- Time permitting, I �d discuss with the students (whole-class activity) what their expectations of our classes together are, what they fear most about English, what they like best about English, etc.

4.- If there is still time, I �d start working on How to make a presentation- A general one, not one related tointernational organizations precisely- in English. Here are some links that you might find useful:

5.- Finally- or earlier on this list of tasks- I �d ask students to describe their course, the purpose of these classes, what sort of international institutions or organizations they deal with and I �d ask them to give you as much information as possible in order for you to be able to get your bearings before you can start actually planning.

I hope these tips will help you somehow.

All the best!

Silvana

14 Dec 2010     

silvanadelval
Argentina

My obsessive mind doesn �t allow me to let a typo go uncorrected: 

2.- I �d give them a thought-provoking questionnaire (some of the questions could be along these lines, for example: What would you say your greatest achievement has been so far? Who is the person you most admire? Why?, What is your idea of happiness? What proverb would you choose as a motto for your life? If reincarnation existed, what/who would you like to reincarnate in? Do you have any regret? What do you wish you had knowN when you were younger?) for students to discuss in pairs.

Have a great day!

Sil

14 Dec 2010     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Silvana, you are unique. I �m impressed at what have done for this girl. You are an example to follow. Thanks for belng like that
Yolanda

14 Dec 2010     

silvanadelval
Argentina

Dear Yolanda,

that �s so sweet! Life is (or rather should be!) very simple: Pay forward...

Have a wonderful day!

Sil

14 Dec 2010     

maggy69
Portugal

Hi!

Thanks a lot to all of you!

A special Thanks to Silvana. You were very very very .... helpful and generous! Thanks a million!

I already knew you were all helpful and kind but I have to say you�re the best!

There�s no other place like ESLprintables!!

Hugs,

Maggy

14 Dec 2010     

serene
Greece

You have my respect too, Sil! I �m sure your "paying forward" life attitude will sooner or later pay you back.

Regards from Greece
serene

edit: Maggie, I hope all goes well! Good luck!

14 Dec 2010     

silvanadelval
Argentina

Dear Serene,

thanks for your nice thoughts... At difficult moments in my life, there has always been someone who gave me a helping hand and I decided that that was they way I wanted to live my own life too... Believe me, Pay it forward does work... 

Dear Maggy69,

there �s nothing to thank; we �ve all been there: facing a class we didn �t have the faintest idea how to go about and to make matters worse, pressed for time. You scratch my back, I (or for that matter somebody else...) �ll scratch yours!

There is something you could do for me... There is this Coordinating job I �m so wanting to get (for a million reasons). So, if you �re a believer, please pray for me to get this job.

Thanks in advance!

Sil

14 Dec 2010     

maggy69
Portugal

Thanks! I already feel better! And now ideas start raising my mind thanks to your kindness. I think fear didn�t let me think.

Grateful Thanks,

Maggy

14 Dec 2010     

dennismychina
China

Good luck Maggy. What wonderful, sound advice you got. It�s so nice to see such a positive thread.

14 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >