Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD forTuesday January 4, 2011    

WOD forTuesday January 4, 2011

edrodmedina
United States

WOD forTuesday January 4, 2011

I�ve just been informed that I�m the winner of the WOD. Thank  you stefemma. The WOD for Tuesday January 4, 2011 is DIPPOLDISM.  For those new to this site this is a game to see who can come up with a funny definition for the Word Of the Day. Please do not give a dictionary definition or Google the word. Use your imagination and your sense of humor.  BTW it is mandatory that those who are new (have less than 1124 points) to ESLprintables to participate. If you do not participate Victor (the fearless creator of this site) will personally chastise you in 7 different languages, 9 if he�s in a really foul mood.

4 Jan 2011      

Rote Heike
Canada

DIPPOLDISM? Everybody knows that this is a very rare form of an obsessive-compulsive disorder: a person who thinks that it �s absolutely necessary to visit both poles, the North and the South pole, in order to have a satisfied life, suffers from Dippoldism.

4 Jan 2011     

miesies muis
Namibia

Dipplodism  has to do with the breaking open of an egg that contains two yolks. People who find a dipplo egg, gets such a shock that their bodies go into such a big shock that the eggs are instantly scrambled. The quickest way to make scrambled eggs. 

4 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

dipp- a dummy (person that is not smart) {oh no PCness alarmShocked}
oldism- old saying

dippoldism- an old saying used to describe a dummy

For example:
     One beer short of a six pack.
     A Big Mac with just one patty.
     Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    The lights are on, but no one �s home.
etc. , etc.

Douglas

4 Jan 2011     

chud
Israel

DIPPOLDISM

is dumb and idiotic pedestalisation of Poldy. Who �s Poldy? Oh, probably, he �s one of those instant celebs, produced in thousands by stupid reality programs.

4 Jan 2011     

crisholm
Spain

IT �S A KIND OF COMPULSION: YOU HAVE TO DIP THINGS ALL THE TIME.
(My hands are shaking with fear ... at least I won �t be scolded)

4 Jan 2011     

roneydirt
United States

I thought it was the study of dips (idiots) who misuse the round poles in clubs and bars thinking they know how to use them better than others.  Had one hit his head on the floor on New Year �s Eve in my club and it was a square pole...

nice one Douglas..
how about "Not the brightest bulb in the pack"

4 Jan 2011     

LeaS
Slovenia

Check your medical dictionaries for this one:

Dippoldism is a medical condition when you have reccuring dreams of riding several diplodocuses at once.  (diplodocus poly-somnium or in short dippoldism)

This rare and potentially fatal disease is found only among semi-caucasian females under the age of 51.4 and height of less than 161.2 cm.

There is no known treatment, however the University of Garrachheim is working on an experimental therapy involving nerf guns.

4 Jan 2011     

Sandra Amado
Portugal

I believe it means immersing prejudice, old ideas, habits,... in order to face a situation in a completely new way; it �s a good way to become more open-minded and efficiently solve new challenges.   
(This thinking outside the box is great fun!! Love it! ...And I sure don �t want to be chastised in languages I don �t understand!!! Geek)

4 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Ed, this is no laughing matter. It is a a symptom of the onset of a very serious infliction. After post-partum depression one of the most widely misdiagnosed and underestimated forms of depression or rather, expressions of depression.
It is comprised of two words: DIP and OLD (consonant doubled for phonetic reasons, to avoid loss of the short I sound) and it refers to actions, expressions, exhortations and situations brought about by an age induced �dip �.
Dippoldisms are generally divided into different categories;
Dippoldisms resulting from a �dip � in self image, most often body image:
A common form of this �dippoldism � is teary eyed exclamation by the over 40 woman  that "nothing looks good on her"
Dippoldisms resulting from a �dip � in physical strength :
" I swear these six packs of mineral water weighed much less in the old days"
Dippoldisms resulting from a  �dip � in energy and or tolerance levels:
"Can anyone replace me for this upcoming 4th grade class, I �m getting too old to deal with all these jumpy/loud kids"

All these forms of dippoldisms indicate that someone is starting to consider him or herself �old � which is the first step to real deterioration since as we all should know by now, we are as young as we feel we are!

edit: I just looked up the word, this is really horrible, it never occured to me that something like that would exist!
No laughing matter indeed!Dead

4 Jan 2011     

baiba
Latvia

OMG what a word! Evil SmileAngryNuke

4 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >